This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Children of alcoholics frequently grow up in families that do not foster growth. They learn roles and rules that help them survive in the family but that are not always helpful in the world outside. These children are at risk for a wide range of problems including teratogenic effects, academic problems, child abuse, psychiatric disorders, substance abuse, and other psychosocial and behavioral difficulties. Nurses who work with children or parents should be prepared to identify the possibility of parental alcoholism and the associated risks.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Children of alcoholics: A guide-book for educators, therapists and parents.2nd ed. Learning Publications, Holmes Beach, FL1983
- Nurses' knowledge of the impact of parental alcoholism on children.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 1987; 1: 251-257
- A comparison of children from alcoholic and non-alcoholic families: Cognitive and psychosocial functioning.in: Presentation at the National Council on Alcoholism Meetings, Washington, D.C.1985
- Children of alcoholic families: A group treatment approach for latency age children.Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services. 1985; 23: 13-15
- It will never happen to me.MAC Books, Denver1982
Cadoret, R.J., O'Gorman, T.W., Heywood, E., & Toughton, E. 91985). Genetic and environmental factors in major depression. Journal of Affective Disorders, 9, 155–164.
- Children of alcoholics: Observations in a child guidance clinic.Quarterly Journal of Alcohol Studies. 1971; 32: 687-698
- Children of Alcoholics Foundation, New York1984 Report of the conference on research needs and opportunities for children of alcoholics.
- The fetal alcohol syndrome.New England Journal of Medicine. 1978; 298: 1063-1067
- The forgotten children.Alcoholism and Drug Addiction Research Foundation of Ontario, Toronto1969
- Broken bottles, broken dreams: Understanding and helping the children of alcoholics.Teachers College Press, New York1982
- Alcoholism and severe child maltreatment.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 1986; 56: 481-485
- Children in the alcoholic family.in: Bier W.C. Problems in addiction: Alcoholism and narcotics. Fordham University Press, New York1962
- Intellectual performance in children of alcoholics.Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 1981; 42: 424-446
- Alcoholism and depression in adoptedout daughters of alcoholics.Archives of General Psychiatry. 1977; 34: 751-755
- Alcoholism in family histories of prepubertal probands with affective disorders.in: Paper presented at the Thirtieth International Institution for the Prevention and Treatment of Alcoholism, Athens, Greece1984
- Alcohol counseling of 85 pregnant problem drinkers: Effects on drinking and fetal outcome.British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 1988; 95: 243-247
- The effects of moderate alcohol consumption during pregnancy on fetal growth and morphogenesis.Journal of Pediatrics. 1978; 92: 457-460
- Learning achievement in sons of alcoholics.Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 1984; 8: 330-333
- Risk and protective factors in children vulnerable to alcohol abuse.in: Paper presented at the Panel on Children of Alcoholics at the National Conference on Alcoholism Forum, April 1, Washington, D.C.1985
- Patterns of malformation in offspring of chronic alcoholic mothers.Lancet. 1973; 1: 1267-1271
- Psychiatric illness in first-degree relatives of patients with paranoid psychosis, schizophrenia and medical illness.British Journal of Psychiatry. 1985; 147: 524-531
- Management of children of alcoholics.in: Zimberg S. Wallace J. Blume S. Practical approaches to alcoholism psychotherapy. 2nd ed. Plenum Press, New York1985
- Les enfants des parents alcooliques: Anomalies observees a propos de 127 cas.Ouest Medicine. 1968; 25: 476-482
- Family histories of depressed and severely anxious children.American Journal of Psychiatry. 1985; 142: 1497-1499
- Family history of alcoholism in borderline personality disorder.Archives of General Psychiatry. 1985; 42: 153-157
- Correlates of academic achievement in children of alcoholic mothers.in: Presentation at the Weekend Center, Mt. Kisco, NY1985
- Personality characteristics of alcoholic children of alcoholics.Journal of Studies on Alcoholism. 1980; 44: 688-700
- Depressives with secondary alcoholism: psychiatric disorder in offspring.Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 1985; 46: 199-204
- Children of alcoholic fathers.Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica. 1960; 49: 1-134
- An historical look at children of alcoholics.Focus on Family and Chemical Dependence. 1985; 8: 5
- An historical look at children of alcoholics.Focus on Family and Chemical Dependence. 1985; 8: 43
- Effects on the child of alcohol abuse during pregnancy.Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica. 1979; : 112-121
- Alcoholism and child abuse: A review.Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 1981; 42: 273-287
- Differences in character roles between adolescents from alcoholic and nonalcoholic homes.American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 1987; 13: 145-155
- A prospective study of young men at high risk for alcoholism.Archives of General Psychiatry. 1986; 43: 755-760
- Behavior and learning difficulties in children of normal intelligence born to alcoholic mothers.Journal of Pediatrics. 1980; 96: 978-982
- Natural history of the fetal alcohol syndrome: A follow-up of eleven patients.Lancet. 1985; 2: 85-91
- Teratogenic effects of alcohol in humans and laboratory animals.Science. 1980; 209: 353-361
- Childhood and family characteristics in panic and generalized anxiety disorders.American Journal of Psychiatry. 1986; 145: 630-632
- Another chance: Hope and health for the alcoholic family.Science and Behavior Books, Palo Alto, CA1981
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.