- •Few studies on transition interventions report on the outcome of transfer of care.
- •The majority of studies in the review were retrospective observational analyses.
- •The definition of transfer from pediatric to adult care varied between studies.
- •Three of the five transition interventions in the review improved transfer rates.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Transition of the patient with inflammatory bowel disease from pediatric to adult care: Recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 2002; 34 (Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11964946): 245-248
- Age-related treatment patterns in sickle cell disease patients and the associated sickle cell complications and healthcare costs.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2013; 60: 828-835https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24459
- Transition process of patients with type 1 diabetes (T1DM) from paediatric to the adult health care service: A hospital-based approach.Clinical Endocrinology. 2009; 71: 346-350https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2008.03467.x
- Transition to adult care for children with chronic neurological disorders.Annals of Neurology. 2011; 69: 437-444https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.22393
- Transitioning HIV-infected youth into adult health care.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 192-197https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-1073
- Supporting the health care transition from adolescence to adulthood in the medical home.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: 182-200https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-0969
- Improving the transition between paediatric and adult healthcare: A systematic review.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2011; 96: 548-553https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2010.202473
- Transition and sickle cell disease.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 926-935https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-3049
- “It’s like losing a part of my family”: Transition expectations of adolescents living with perinatally acquired HIV and their guardians.AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2012; 26: 423-429https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.2012.0041
- Referral patterns and perceived barriers to adult congenital heart disease care: Results of a survey of U.S. pediatric cardiologists.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012; 60: 2411-2418https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2012.09.015
- Assessment of transition readiness skills and adherence in pediatric liver transplant recipients.Pediatric Transplantation. 2010; 14: 944-953https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3046.2010.01349.x
- Transition of care for young adult survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer: Rationale and approaches.Journal of Clinical Oncology: Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2010; 28: 4810-4818https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.23.4278
- Six core elements of health care transition 2.0.(Retrieved February 20, 2015, from)
- Prevalence and predictors of gaps in care among adult congenital heart disease patients: HEART-ACHD (The Health, Education, and Access Research Trial).Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013; 61: 2180-2184https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.02.048
- A transition pilot program for adolescents with sickle cell disease.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2012; 26: 45-49https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2012.06.004
- Experiences and outcomes of transition from pediatric to adult health care services for young people with congenital heart disease: A systematic review.Congenital Heart Disease. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1111/chd.12251
- When children with sickle-cell disease become adults: Lack of outpatient care leads to increased use of the emergency department.American Journal of Hematology. 2011; 86: 863-865https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.22106
- Audit of young people with type 1 diabetes transferring from paediatric to adult diabetic services.Practical Diabetes International. 2006; 23: 106-108https://doi.org/10.1002/pdi.914
- Development and implementation of an adolescent epilepsy transition clinic.The Journal of Neuroscience Nursing: Journal of the American Association of Neuroscience Nurses. 2010; 42: 181-189https://doi.org/10.1097/JNN.0b013e3181e26be6
- Transition from pediatric to adult care for youth diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in adolescence.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e1062-e1070https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-1450
- Transition of patients with sickle cell disease from pediatric to adult care: Assessing patient readiness.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2009; 52: 838-841https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.21974
- 105. Evaluation of the Transition Readiness Assessment Questionnaire (TRAQ) in a younger adolescent population.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2013; 52: S71-S72https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2012.10.167
- Transition to adult care for youths with diabetes mellitus: Findings from a universal health care system.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: e1134-e1141https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-0041
- Physician views on barriers to primary care for young adults with childhood-onset chronic disease.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: e748-e754https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-3451
- Transition from pediatric to adult care: Internists’ perspectives.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: 417-423https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-0740
- Diabetes care for emerging adults: Recommendations for transition from pediatric to adult diabetes care systems: A position statement of the American Diabetes Association, with representation by the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, the A.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 2477-2485https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-1723
- Measuring the “triple aim” in transition care: A systematic review.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e1648-e1661https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-1704
- Prevalence and correlates of successful transfer from pediatric to adult health care among a cohort of young adults with complex congenital heart defects.Pediatrics. 2004; 113( (Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14993577): e197-e205
- Health care transition: destinations unknown.Pediatrics. 2002; 110 (Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12456950): 1307-1314
- Health care transition: Youth, family, and provider perspectives.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 112-120https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-1321
- Best practices in managing transition to adulthood for adolescents with congenital heart disease: The transition process and medical and psychosocial issues: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123(: 1454-1485https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e3182107c56
- Measuring the transition readiness of youth with special healthcare needs: Validation of the TRAQ--Transition Readiness Assessment Questionnaire.Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2011; 36: 160-171https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsp128
- Adolescents with a chronic condition: Challenges living, challenges treating.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1481-1489https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60370-5
- The experiences and impact of transition from child to adult healthcare services for young people with Type 1 diabetes: A systematic review.Diabetic Medicine: A Journal of the British Diabetic Association. 2015; 32: 440-458https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12639
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of a post-discharge program to supoprt emerging adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus transition from pediatric to adult care.Pediatric Diabetes. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12229
- Cystic fibrosis and transition to adult medical care.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 566-573https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2009-2791
- Evaluation of a systems navigator model for transition from pediatric to adult care for young adults with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2008; 31: 1529-1530https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-2247
- Transition from a pediatric HIV intramural clinical research program to adolescent and adult community-based care services: Assessing transition readiness.Social Work in Health Care. 2007; 46: 1-19https://doi.org/10.1300/J010v46n02_01
- Loss to specialist follow-up in congenital heart disease; Out of sight, out of mind.Heart (British Cardiac Society). 2013; 99: 485-490https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2012-302831
- Lapse of care as a predictor for morbidity in adults with congenital heart disease.International Journal of Cardiology. 2008; 125: 62-65https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2007.02.023
1Conflicts of interest: Dr. Chung serves on an advisory board for Pfizer, Inc. Ms. Chu, Dr. Maslow and Ms. von Isenburg have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.