- •The Future of Nursing recommended establishing nurse residency programs (NRPs) to facilitate transition to practice.
- •A survey was carried out to describe orientation programs and NRPs in children’s hospitals and pediatric units.
- •Characteristics of the programs (structure, faculty, preceptors, content, educational strategies, and outcomes) are described.
- •Benefits of NRPs include improved confidence, peer support networks, increased safe practices, and a decrease in nursing turnover.
- •Challenges of NRPs include adequate funding and program implementation.
Design and Methods
Conclusions and Practice Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Scope and standards of practice for nursing professional development.American Nurse Publishing, Silver Spring, MD2000
- Nurse residency programs: An evidence-based review of theory, process, and outcomes.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2012; 28: 203-212https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2011.11.020
- A description of U.S. post-graduation nurse residency programs.Nursing Outlook. 2014; 62: 174-184https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2013.12.008
- Educating nurses: A call for radical transformation.Jossey-Bass, San Francisco2009
- The Casey-Fink Graduate Nurse Experience Survey Revised: Utilization.(Retrieved from)
- Standards for accreditation of post-baccalaureate nurse residency programs.Author, Washington, DC2008
- The professional employee: A study of conflict in nursing roles.The American Journal of Sociology. 1961; 66: 604-615
- Transition shock: The initial stage of role adaptation for newly graduated registered nurses.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2009; 65: 1103-1113https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04898.x
- Lessons learned from 10 years of research on a post-baccalaureate nurse residency program.Journal of Nursing Administration. 2013; 43: 73-79https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0b013e31827f205c
- Nurse residency programs: Outcome comparisons to best practices.Journal for Nurses in Professional Development. 2014; 30: 76-82https://doi.org/10.1097/NND.00000000000000001
- The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Reality shock: Why nurses leave nursing.Mosby, St. Louis1974
- Undergraduate pediatric nursing education: Issues, challenges, and recommendations.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2014; 30: 130-138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2013.07.003
- What newly licensed registered nurses have to say about their first experiences.Nursing Outlook. 2009; 57: 194-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2008.09.008
- Residency programs for new nurse graduates: How widespread are they and what are the primary obstacles to further adoption?.Journal of Nursing Administration. 2013; 43: 597-602https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNA.0000434507.59126.78
- Best practices of formal new graduate nurse transition programs: An integrative review.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2013; 50: 345-356https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.06.009
- The measurement of professional autonomy.Journal of Professional Nursing. 1987; 3: 278-283
- NCSBN focus: 2009 update on the National Council of State Boards of Nursing’s regulatory model for transitioning new nurses to practice.JONA’S Healthcare Law, Ethics and Regulation. 2010; 12: 12-14https://doi.org/10.1097/NHL.0b013e3181d294c1
- Slater nursing competency rating scale.Appleton & Lange, New York1975