- •First review of single- and multi-focused additional support programs in aftercare
- •Weak evidence of the effectiveness was found of the programs.
- •Holistic programs which consider care leavers needs and decision-making are needed.
- •Suggestions for the development of the programs are provided.
- •Evaluation of programs should be improved with strong study designs.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
(EPOC). (2017). Suggested risk of bias criteria for EPOC reviews. EPOC resources for review authors, 2017. Retrieved from http://epoc.cochrane.org/resources/epoc-resources-review-authors.
- Effective services for improving education and employment outcomes for children and alumni of foster care service: Correlates and educational and employment outcomes.Child & Family Social Work. 2015; 20: 159-170
- Interventions in Foster family care: A systematic review.Research on Social Work Practice. 2019; 30: 3-18https://doi.org/10.1177/1049731519832101
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of a technology-based substance use intervention for youth exiting foster care.Children and Youth Services Review. 2018; 94: 466-476
- Journey towards independent living: Resilience processes of women leaving residential care in South Africa.Journal of Youth Studies. 2019; 22: 604-622
- Care leavers in early adulthood: How do they fare in Britain, Finland and Germany.Children and Youth Services Review. 2018; 87: 163-172
Centre for Evidence-Based Management. (2014). Critical appraisal checklist for cross-sectional study. Retrieved from https://www.cebma.org/wp-content/uploads/Critical-Appraisal-Questions-for-a-Cross-Sectional-Study-july-2014.pdf.
Child Welfare Act (2007). Finnish Child Welfare Act 417 (Lastensuojelulaki). Retrieved from http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2007/20070417?search%5Btype%5D=.
- Intervention studies to foster resilience – A systematic review and proposal for a resilience framework in future intervention studies.Clinical Psychology Review. 2018; 59: 78-100
- Services and outcomes for transition-age foster care youth: Youths' perspectives.Vulnerable Children & Youth Studies. 2011; 6: 157-165
- Findings from the California youth transitions to adulthood study (CalYOUTH): Conditions of foster youth at age 17.Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago, Chicago, IL2014
- Experimental evaluation of transitional living services for system-involved youth: Implications for policy and practice.Children and Youth Services Review. 2019; 96: 396-408
Critical Appraisal Skills Programme. (2018). CASP (qualitative research) checklist. Retrieved from https://casp-uk.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CASP-Qualitative-Checklist-2018.pdf.
- “They lay down the foundation and then they leave room for us to build the house”: A visual qualitative exploration of young adults' experiences of transitional housing.Journal of the Society for Social Work & Research. 2015; 6: 145-172
- Current trends, figures and challenges in out of home child care: An international comparative analysis.Psychosocial Intervention. 2013; 22: 251-257
- Methodological challenges to the evaluation of interventions for foster/kinship carers and children: A systematic review.Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review. 2018; 21: 109-145
- Systematic review of educational interventions for looked-after children and young people: Recommendations for intervention development and evaluation.British Educational Research Journal. 2017; 43: 68-94
Furnivall, J., & Grant, E. (2014). Trauma sensitive practice with children in care. Insights: Evidence summaries to support social services in Scotland. Institute for Research and Innovation in Social Services (Iriss). Retrieved from http://www.iriss.org.uk/project/iriss-insights.
- Experiences and outcomes of foster care alumni in postsecondary education: A review of the literature.Children and Youth Services Review. 2017; 79: 186-197
- Readiness, access, preparation, and support for foster care alumni in higher education: A review of the literature.Journal of Public Child Welfare. 2017; 11: 487-515
- A review of research on college educational outcomes of students who experienced foster care.Journal of Public Child Welfare. 2016; 10: 291-309
- The therapeutic family model of care: An attachment and trauma informed approach to transitional planning.Developing Practice. 2012; 32: 13-23
- Foster youth and social support: The first RCT of independent living services.Research on Social Work Practice. 2015; 25: 349-357
- Development & maintenance of social support among aged out foster youth who received independent living services: Results from the multi-site evaluation of foster youth programs.Children and Youth Services Review. 2015; 53: 1-9
- Mental health interventions for children in foster care: A systematic review.Children and Youth Services Review. 2016; 70: 65-77
- Transition to adult life of young people leaving foster care: A qualitative systematic review.Children and Youth Services Review. 2018; 95: 134-143
- Young people’s preparedness for adult life and coping after foster care: A systematic review of perceptions and experiences in the transition period.Child & Youth Care Forum Journal of Research and Practice in Children’s Services. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10566-019-09499-4
Higgins, J., & Green, S. (Eds.) (2011). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane collaboration, 2011. Retrieved from www.handbook.cochrane.org
- Factors associated with outcomes for looked-after children and young people: A correlates review of the literature.Child: Care, Health and Development. 2011; 37: 613-622
- Children in out-of-home care as young adults: A systematic review of outcomes in the Nordic countries.Children and Youth Services Review. 2017; 79: 107-114
- Evaluating the self-expressed unmet needs of emancipated foster youth over time.Children and Youth Services Review. 2015; 57: 9-18
- Programs components of psychosocial interventions in foster and kinship care: A systematic review.Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review. 2018; 21: 13-40
- Characteristics of children in foster care, family-style group care and residential care: A scoping review.Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2016; 25: 2357-2371
- A transitional housing program for older foster youth: How do youth fare after exiting.Children and Youth Services Review. 2018; 88: 361-365
- Practitioner review: Children in foster care - vulnerabilities and evidence-based interventions that promote resilience processes.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines. 2012; 53: 1197-1211
- Impact of a supportive housing program on housing stability and sexually transmitted infections among young adults in New York City who were aging out of foster care.American Journal of Epidemiology. 2017; 186: 297-304
- A review of interventions to support the educational attainments of children and adolescents in foster care.Adoption and Fostering. 2018; 42: 266-281
- Examining the experiences of young people transitioning from out-of-home care in rural Victoria.Rural Society. 2012; 21: 198-209
- An evaluation of housing outcomes from a support program for young people transitioning from out-of-home care in Victoria, Australia.Scottish Journal of Residential Child Care. 2017; 16: 1-16
- Young people transitioning from out-of-home care. International research, policy and practice.Palgrave Macmillan, Houndmills2016
Moher, D., Liberati, A., Tetzlaff, J., & Altman, D. G. (2009). Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. BMJ, 339, b2535. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2535.
- “At times I kinda felt I was in an institution”: Supportive housing for transition age youth and young adults.Children and Youth Services Review. 2017; 73: 430-436
- Life after growing up in care: Informing policy and practice through research.Australian Social Work. 2014; 67: 102-117
- Trauma-informed care in inpatient mental health settings: A review of the literature.International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2014; 23: 51-59
- A critical review of qualitative research into the experiences of young adults leaving foster care services.Journal of Children's Services. 2014; 9: 263-279
- Social support and interdependency in transition to adulthood from child welfare services.Children and Youth Services Review. 2016; 68: 125-131
- A systematic review of interventions to improve post-secondary educational outcomes among foster care alumni.Children and Youth Services Review. 2017; 79: 602-611
- Predictors of life satisfaction among care leavers: A mixed-method longitudinal study.Children and Youth Services Review. 2019; 99: 146-155
- The other side of the bridge: A follow-up study of Israeli young adults who participated in a transitional housing program after aging out from care.Residential Treatment for Children & Youth. 2017; 34: 311-324
- Mental health and wellbeing of care leavers: Making sense of their perspectives.Child & Family Social Work. 2017; 22: 1480-1487
- Supportive housing in foster care: The views of young people.Child Care in Practice. 2015; 21: 408-424
- Perceptions of children in residential care homes: A critical review of the literature.British Journal of Social Work. 2017; 47: 1704-1722
- Do they get what they expect? The connection between young adults' future expectations before leaving care and outcomes after leaving care.Children and Youth Services Review. 2015; 55: 193-200
- The integrative review: Updated methodology.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005; 52: 546-553
- Helping foster youth find a job: A random-assignment evaluation of an employment assistance program for emancipating youth.Child and Family Social Work. 2017; 22: 155-164