- •In this study, meta-analysis on breast-feeding duration and contributory maternal factors is carried out in Iran for first time.
- •The mean of breast-feeding duration was calculated at 17.44 months in this study.
- •Children with younger mothers and lower birth orders had shorter duration of breastfeeding.
- •Women with high school& diploma education level had early cessation of breastfeeding in comparison with less literate women.
Study eligibility criteria and participants
Implications of key findings
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Breast-feeding in Saudi Arabia: A review.International Breast-feeding Journal. 2014; 9https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-4358-9-1
- The relationship between the duration of breast-feeding and child weight gain up to the end of the age of 24-months.Iranian Journal of Nursing. 2011; 24 (Retrieved from): 83-92
- The association of postpartum maternal mental health with breast-feeding status of mothers: A case-control study.Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 2014; 16e14839https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.14839
- 4364.0.55.002 - Australian Health Survey: health service usage and health related actions, 2011-12.(Retrieved April 11, 2018, from)http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Previousproducts/6664B939E49FD9C1CA257B39000F2E4B?opendocumentDate: 2013
- Maternal education and the incidence and duration of breast feeding: A prospective study.Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology Nutriotion. 2004; 37: 447-452
- Breast-feeding duration in an Australian population: The influence of modifiable antenatal factors.Journal of Human Lactation. 2004; 20: 30-38https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334403261109
- Factors associated to breast-feeding in the first hour of life: Systematic review Fatores associados à amamentação na primeira hora de vida: revisão sistemática.Revista de Saúde Pública. 2014; 48: 697-708https://doi.org/10.1590/S0034-8910.2014048005278
- Breast-feeding and WIC enrollment in the nurse family partnership program.Breast-feeding Medicine. 2009; 4: 145-149https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2008.0140
- Breast-feeding practices among WIC participants in Hawaii.Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2001; 101: 57-62https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(01)00016-5
- Breast-feeding report card United States 2014.Cdc, 2014: 1-8 (Retrieved from)
- Maternal and perinatal factors influencing the duration of exclusive breast-feeding during the first 6 months of life.Journal of Human Lactation. 2003; 19: 136-144https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334403253292
- Factors associated with breastfeeding initiation and continuation: A meta-analysis.Journal of Pediatric. 2018; 203: 190-196
- Breastfeeding determinants in healthy term newborns.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 48-58https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10010048
- Association of exclusive breast-feeding and its duration with the weight of 24–month-old children in Zanjan Province.ZUMS Journal. 2016; 24: 99-108
- Factors associated with breast-feeding at six months postpartum in a group of Australian women.International breast-feeding Journal. 2006; 1: 18https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-4358-1-18
- Causes of continuation of lactation in children under-1 in urban women of Bushehr province, 2001.Quarterly Journal of South Medicine. 2002; 23: 40-43
- Factors associated with breast-feeding duration among Connecticut special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children (WIC) participants.Journal of Human Lactation. 2010; 26: 266-273https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334410365067
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 [updated march 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 (Available from)
- Effective factors on duration of breast-feeding in mothers in the city of Farooj, North Khorasan, in 2010.Journal of North Khorasan University of Medical Sciences. 2011; 3: 39-42https://doi.org/10.29252/jnkums.3.1.6
- The relationship between duration of breast-feeding and maternal factors.Journal of Fasa University of Medical Sciences. 2015; 5 (Retrieved from): 202-209
- Assessment of breast-feeding and related factors in three hospitals of Tehran, 2008.Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology. 2013; 7 (Retrieved from): 125-134
- Factors influencing the duration of breast-feeding in children of 2-6 ages.Science Road Journal. 2014; 2: 48-54
- Exclusive breast-feeding and factors affecting knowledge, attitude and practice of mothers in rural and urban regions of East Azerbaijan, Iran.Life Science Journal. 2013; 10 (Retrieved from): 473-478
- Breastfeeding duration and cognitive, language and motor development at 18 months of age: Rhea mother-child cohort in Crete, Greece.Journal of Epidemiol Community Health. 2015; 69: 232-239https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2013-202500
- Determinants of exclusive breast-feeding in a cohort of Primiparous Periurban Peruvian mothers.Journal of Human Lactation. 2012; 28: 45-54https://doi.org/10.1177/0890334411422703
- Investigation of decreasing causes of exclusive breast-feeding in children below six months old, in Kerman city during 2008-2009.Journal of Fasa University of Medical Sciences. 2011; 1 (Retrieved from): 45-52
- Study of the status of 6-12 months children exclusive breast-fed up to six months and its related factors in the urban health care centers of Ardakan City.Tolooebehdasht. 2013; 12: 84-94
- Breast-feeding status and effective factors in 21-27 months Iranian infants.Open Journal of Pediatrics. 2015; 5: 156-163https://doi.org/10.4236/ojped.2015.52024
- The influence of psychological factors on reast-feeding duration.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2008; 63: 397-408https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04722.x
- Breastfeeding in Iran: Prevalence, duration and current recommendations.International Breastfeeding Journal. 2009; 4https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-4358-4-8
- Social, cultural, and medical factors that influence maternal breast-feeding.Issues in Mental Health Nursing. 2010; 31: 365-367https://doi.org/10.3109/01612840903359757
- A survey on some effective factors on the duration of breast-feeding using survival analysis (Mazandaran province).Koomesh. 2007; 8 (Retrieved from): 161-170
- Continuation of breast-feeding: Is this a problem in Southeast Iran?.Breast-feeding Medicine. 2009; 4: 97-100https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2007.0038
- Prevalence of exclusive breast-feeding in Iran: Systematic review and meta-analysis.International Journal of Epidemiologic Research. 2016; 3: 294-301
- Factors associated with breast-feeding patterns in women who recourse to health centres in Zahedan, Iran.Singapore Medical Journal. 2009; 50: 181-184
- Factors associated with breastfeeding maintenance for 12 months or more: A systematic review.Journal of Pediatric. 2018; 94: 104-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jped.2017.06.013
- Breast-feeding as health-promoting behaviour for Hispanic women: Literature review.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005; 52: 200-210https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03579.x
- The relationship between duration of breast-feeding and mother’s BMI.Journal of Fasa University of Medical Sciences. 2016; 6 (Retrieved from): 409-415
- Initiation and continuation of breast-feeding and its associated factors in children.Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 2005; 8: 31-36
- Variables associated with breast-feeding duration.Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing. 2009; 38: 259-268https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2009.01021.x
Torabi, S., Managheb, S., Rahmanian, S., Zahedi, R., & Solhjoo, Z. (2011). Nutritional status of children under two years and its associated factors in urban and rural areas of Jahrom, 2007-8. Journal of Jahrom University of Medical Sciences, 9(2), 15–20. Retrieved from http://jmj.jums.ac.ir/browse.php?a_id=179&sid=1&slc_lang=en.
- Breast-feeding status and some related factors in Northern Iran.Oman Medical Journal. 2011; 26: 342-348https://doi.org/10.5001/omj.2011.84
- Country implementation of the international code of marketing of breast-milk substitutes.(Retrieved from)WHO. World Health Organizationhttp://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/infantfeeding/statusreport2011/en/Date: 2013