- •The concept analysis will enable the scientific community to use consistent terminology.
- •Adolescent autonomous motivation for physical activity is on a continuum and dynamic.
- •An autonomy-supportive environment and positive perceptions are needed to promote physical activity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- A dimensional and person-centered perspective on controlled reasons for non-participation in physical education.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2016; 23: 142-154https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2015.12.001
- The theory of planned behaviour: Reactions and reflections.Psychology of Health. 2011; 26: 1113-1127https://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2011.613995
Bengoechea, E., & Strean, W. (2007). On the interpersonal context of adolescents' sport motivation. Psychology of Sport & Exercise, 8(2), 195–217. doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2006.03.004.
- Self-determination of contextual motivation, inter-context dynamics and adolescents' patterns of sport participation over time.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2007; 8: 685-703https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2006.10.004
- Gateway to health communication & social marketing impact.https://www.cdc.gov/healthcommunication/toolstemplates/entertainmented/tips/PhysicalInactivity.html(n.d.)Date: 2017
- Systematic reviews: What do you need to know to get started?.The Canadian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 2015; 68: 144-148https://doi.org/10.4212/cjhp.v68i2.1440
- Evidence against the continuum structure underlying motivation measures derived from self-determination theory.Psychological Assessment. 2014; 26: 575-585https://doi.org/10.1037/a0036212
- The motivational relevance of peer and teacher relationship profiles in physical education.Psychology of Sport & Exercise. 2010; 11 (10/1016/j.psychsport.2010.04.001): 337-344
- Associations between behavior regulation, competence, physical activity, and health for adolescent females.Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2014; 11: 410-418https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2012-0070
- Extracurricular school-based sports as a stepping stone toward an active lifestyle? Differences in physical activity and sports-motivation between extracurricular school-based sports participants and non-participants.Journal of Teaching in Physical Education. 2017; 36: 485-497https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.2016-0035
- Psychometric properties of the commitment to physical activity scale.American Journal of Health Behavior. 2009; 33: 425-434https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.33.4.8
- Intrinsic motivation and self determination in human behavior.Plenum Press, Rochester, NY1985
- Self-determination theory: A macrotheory of human motivation, development, and health.Canadian Psychology. 2008; 49: 182-185https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012801
- Declining physical activity and motivation from middle school to high school.Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2018; 50: 1206-1215https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.000000000001542
- Motivation and behavioral regulation of physical activity in middle school students.Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2015; 47: 1913-1921https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.00000000000000616
- School-based physical activity programs for promoting physical activity and fitness in children and adolescents aged 6 to 18.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2013; 2https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD00765
- Impact of social norms and social support on diet, physical activity and sedentary behaviour of adolescents: A scoping review.Child: Care, Health & Development. 2015; 41: 654-667https://doi.org/10.1111/cch.12241
- Coach autonomy support predicts autonomous motivation and daily moderate-to-vigorous physical activity and sedentary time in youth sport participants.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2014; 15: 453-463https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2014.04.005
- Predicting healthy and unhealthy behaviors through physical education: A self-determination theory-based longitudinal approach.Scandinavian Journal Medical Science Sports. 2016; 26: 579-592https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.12470
Fullmer, M., Wilkinson, C., Prusak, K., Eggett, D., & Pennington, T. (2018). Adolescent physical activity and motivational profiles while keeping a physical activity record. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 37(1), 1–11. doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.2017-0072.
- Autonomy support from parents and coaches: Synergistic or compensatory effects on sport-related outcomes of adolescent-athletes?.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2016; 25: 89-99https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2016.04.006
- Exploring the experience of introjected regulation for exercise across gender in adolescence.Psychology of Sport & Exercise. 2009; 10: 309-319https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2008.10.004
- What motivates girls to take up exercise during adolescence? Learning from those who succeed.British Journal of Health Psychology. 2012; 17: 536-550https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8287.2011.02053
- Motivation and body-related factors as discriminators of change in adolescents' exercise behavior profiles.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2011; 48: 44-51https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.05.006
- The effects of manipulating goal content and autonomy support climate on outcomes of a PE fitness class.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2013; 14: 342-352https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2012.11.011
- A cluster randomised controlled trial of an intervention to promote healthy lifestyle habits to school leavers: Study rationale, design, and methods.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 221https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-221
- A tale of two models: Changes in psychological need satisfaction and physical activity over 3 years.Health Psychology. 2016; 35: 167-177https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000259
- Examining factors associated with intrinsic motivation in physical education: A qualitative approach.Psychology of Sport & Exercise. 2003; 4: 211-223https://doi.org/10.1016/S1469-0292(02)00006-7
- Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Dsease Prevention and Health Promotion.
- The epidemiology of obesity: A big picture.Pharmaco Economics. 2015; 33: 673-689https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-014-0243-x
- Physical activity and its related motivational attributes in adolescents with different BMI.International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2013; 20: 106-113https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-011-9196-z
- Physical examination and health assessment.8th ed. Elsevier, Philadelphia2019
- Peer influence on young athletes’ need satisfaction, intrinsic motivation and persistence in sport: A 12-month prospective study.Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2011; 12: 500-508https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2011.04.005
- Youth athletes' perception of autonomy support from the coach, peer motivational climate and intrinsic motivation in sport setting: One-year effects.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2012; 13: 257-262https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2011.12.001
- The role of motivation and metacognition on the development of cognitive and affective responses in physical education lessons: A self-determination approach.Motricidade. 2015; 11: 135-150https://doi.org/10.6063/motricidade.3661
- The motivational impact of wearable healthy lifestyle technologies: A self-determination perspective on fitbits with adolescents.American Journal of Health Education. 2017; 48: 287-297https://doi.org/10.1080/19325037l2017.1343161
- What to expect when you're exercising: An experimental test of the anticipated affect-exercise relationship.Health Psychology. 2017; 36: 309-319https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000453
- The role of social support on physical activity behaviour in adolescent girls: A systematic review and meta-analysis.International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activity. 2016; 13: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-016-0405-7
Li, K., Iannotti, R., Haynie, Z, Perlus, J, & Simons-Marto, B. (2014). Motivation and planning as mediators of the relation between social support and physical activity among U.S. adolescents: A nationally representative study. International Journal of Behavior Nutrition Physical Activity 11(1), 42. doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-11-42.
- Self-determined motivation and students' physical activity during structured physical education lessons and free choice periods.Preventive Medicine: An International Journal Devoted to Practice and Theory. 2009; 48: 69-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2008.09.013
- Mediators of psychological well-being in adolescent boys.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2016; 58: 230-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.10.010
- The relationships between body mass and body image and relative autonomy for exercise among adolescent males and females.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2007; 8: 836-853https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2006.11.002
- A modification of the behavioral regulation in exercise questionnaire to include an assessment of amotivation.Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 2004; 26: 191-196https://doi.org/10.1123/jsept.26.2.191
- The relative roles of physical education teachers and parents in adolescents’ leisure-time physical activity motivation and behavior.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2012; 13: 99-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2011.10.003
McDavid, L., Cox, A., & McDonough, M. (2014). Need fulfillment and motivation in physical education predict trajectories of change in leisure-time physical activity in early adolescence. Psychology of Sport Exercise, 15(5), 471–480. doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2014.04.006.
- Physical activity and social support in adolescents: A systematic review.Health Education Research. 2014; 29 (doi:her/cyu017): 822-839
- School-based interventions to improve cardiorespiratory fitness in adolescents: Systematic review with meta-analysis.Sports Medicine. 2016; 46: 1273-1292https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-016-0480-6
- Perfectionism, self-determined motivation, and coping among adolescent athletes.Psychology of Sport & Exercise. 2011; 12: 355-367https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2011.03.006
- Health promotion in nursing practice.8th ed. Pearson, Upper Saddle River, N.J2019
- Psychological changes among muslim students participating in a faith-based school physical activity program.Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 2013; 84: 522-529
- Autonomy, competence, and relatedness in the classroom: Applying self-determination theory to educational practice.Theory and Research in Education. 2009; 7: 133-144
- The association between exercise behavior regulation and exergaming in adolescents.Journal of Physical Activity & Health. 2015; 12: 328-334https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2012-0455
- The relationship between self-determined motivation and physical activity in adolescent boys.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2013; 53: 420-422https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.05.007
- Self-determined motivation and physical activity in children and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Preventive Medicine. 2014; 67: 270-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2014.07.033
- The effectiveness of school-based physical activity interventions for adolescent girls: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Preventive Medicine. 2017; 105: 237-249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.09.018
- The association of self-efficacy and parent social support on physical activity in male and female adolescents.Health Psychology. 2013; 32: 666-674https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029129
- The physical activity guidelines for Americans.JAMA. 2018; 320 (2018): 2020-2028https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.14854
Power, T., Ullrich-French, S., Steele, M., Daratha, K., & Bindler, R. (2011). Obesity, cardiovascular fitness, and physically active adolescents' motivations for activity: A self-determination theory approach. Psychology of Sport Exercise, 12(6), 593–598. doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2011.07.002.
- Facts and statistics.(n.d.)
- The evolution of physical activity promotion.American Journal of Nursing. 2015; 115: 50-54https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000470400.28683.97
- Reliability and validity of the commitment to physical activity scale for adolescents.American Journal of Health Promotion. 2017; 31: 343-352https://doi.org/10.4278/ajhp.150114-QUAN-665
- Rodgers B.I. Knafl K.A. Concept analysis: An evolutionary view. Concept development in nursing: Foundations, techniques and applications. 2nd ed. iSaunders, Philadelphia, PA2000: 77-102
- Intrinsic and extrinsic motivations: Classic definitions and new directions.Contemporary Educational Psychology. 2000; 25 (10/1006/ceps.1999.1020)
- Self-determination theory. Basic psychological needs in motivation, development and wellness.Guilford Press, New York, London2017
- Psychological need satisfaction, intrinsic motivation and affective response to exercise in adolescents.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2013; 14: 776-785https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2013.04.005
- Testing a self-determination theory model of children's physical activity motivation: A cross-sectional study.International Journal of Behavior Nutrition Physical Activity. 2013; 10: 111https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-10-111
- Outside-school physical activity participation and motivation in physical education.British Journal of Education Psychology. 2014; 84: 40-57https://doi.org/10.1111/bjep.12004
- Social physique anxiety and intention to be physically active: A self-determination theory approach.Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 2016; 87: 354-364https://doi.org/10.1080/02701367.2016.1213351
- Using self-determination theory to promote physical activity and weight control: A randomized controlled trial in women.Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2010; 33: 110-122https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-009-9239-y
- The impact of intrinsic and extrinsic motivators on employee engagement in information organizations.Journal of Education for Library & Information Science. 2016; 57: 197-206https://doi.org/10.12783/issn.2328-2967/57/2/11
- Correlates of physical activity of children and adolescents: A systematic review of reviews.Health Education Journal. 2014; 73: 72-89https://doi.org/10.1177/0017896912469578
- Perceived physical competence towards physical activity, and motivation and enjoyment in physical education as longitudinal predictors of adolescents' self-reported physical activity.Journal of Science & Medicine in Sport. 2016; 19: 750-754https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2015.11.003
- Rodgers’ evolutionary concept analysis- a valid method for developing knowledge in nursing science.Scandanavian Journal of Caring Sciences. 2010; : 24https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2010.00845
- Perceptions of relationships with parents and peers in youth sport: Independent and combined prediction of motivational outcomes.Psychology of Sport & Exercise. 2006; 7: 193-214https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2005.08.006
- Understanding the impact of intrinsic versus extrinsic goal framing on exercise performance: The conflicting role of task and ego involvement.Psychology of Sport Exercise. 2007; 8: 771-794https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2006.04.006
Vierling, K., Standage, M., & Treasure, D. (2007). Predicting attitudes and physical activity in an "at-risk" minority youth sample: A test of self-determination theory. Psychology of Sport Exercise, 8(5), 795–817. doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2006.12.006.
- Using the self-determination theory to understand Chinese adolescent leisure-time physical activity.European Journal of Sport Science. 2017; 17: 453-461https://doi.org/10.1080/17461391.2016.1276968
- Why inner-city high-school students attend after-school physical activity clubs.Health Education Journal. 2016; 75: 639-651https://doi.org/10.1177/0017896915608885
- Commitment to sport and exercise: Re-examining the literature for a practical and parsimonious model.Journal of Preventative Medicine and Public Health. 2013; 46: 35-42https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2013.46.S.S35
- A preliminary test of a student-centered intervention on increasing physical activity in underserved adolescents.Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2005; 30: 119-124https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324796abm3002_4
- “It’s who I am…really!” the importance of integrated regulation in exercise contexts.Journal of Biobehavioral Research. 2006; 11: 79-104https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-9861.2006.tb00021.x
- Global strategy on diet, physical activity and health.