- •The scale is a valid instrument to determine the healthy lifestyle beliefs of Turkish adolescents.
- •The scale is a reliable instrument to determine the healthy lifestyle beliefs of Turkish adolescents.
- •This tool can be used by professionals to determine the healthy lifestyle beliefs of adolescents.
Background and purpose
Measuring the adolescent awareness of healthy lifestyle behaviors and the self-efficacy needed to change behaviors is an important step in improving the health of this population. The Healthy Lifestyle Beliefs Scale is one such instrument, and it has been used to measure the healthy behaviors of adolescents in the United States. This study aims to extend this instrument by evaluating its validity and reliability in Turkish adolescents.
This methodological, descriptive, correlational study was conducted on 843 adolescents between October 2019 and November 2019. Data were collected using a socio-demographic information form and the Healthy Lifestyle Beliefs Scale. Factor analysis, Cronbach's alpha, and item–total score analysis were used for the data analysis.
The scale consisted of 16 items and three subscales. The three subscales were found to explain 57.66% of the total variance. The total factor loading was >0.30 in both exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses. In the confirmatory factor analysis, all the goodness of fit indexes were >0.91, and the root mean square error of approximation was <0.08. The Cronbach's alpha coefficient for the overall scale was 0.90, and the Cronbach's alpha values for the subscales were 0.79–0.84.
The Healthy Lifestyle Beliefs Scale for adolescents was found to be a valid and reliable measurement tool for the Turkish sample.
Determining the healthy lifestyle beliefs of adolescents can contribute to the creation of healthy lifestyle behaviors.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tıbbi araştırmalarda istatistiksel analiz teknikleri spss uygulamaları.Emek Ofset Ltd. Sti, Ankara2003
- Kültürlerarası ölçek uyarlaması için rehber I: Ölçek uyarlama aşamaları ve dil uyarlaması.Hemşirelik Araştırma Dergisi. 2002; 4: 9-14
- Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change.Psychological Review. 1977; 84: 191-215
- Qualitative and quantitative steps on attitude scale construction.Hemşirelikte Araştırma Geliştirme Dergisi. 2010; 12: 59-71
- Chinese version of the healthy lifestyle beliefs scale for Taiwanese adolescents: A psychometric study.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2017; 32: 19-24
- IBM SPSS Statistics: Version 24.2017
- Scale development, theory and applications.SAGE Publication Inc, India2012
- Development and evaluation of social cognitive measures related to adolescent dietary behaviors.International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2012; 9: 36
- Food intake of European adolescents in the light of different food-based dietary guidelines: Results of the HELENA (healthy lifestyle in Europe by nutrition in adolescence) study.Public Health Nutrition. 2012; 15: 386-398
- Basic statistic for health researh.Art Ofset Matbacılık Yayıncılık Org. Ltd Şti, Ankara2011
- Structural equation modelling: Guidelines for determining model fit.Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods. 2008; 6: 53-60
- Psychosocial correlates of healthy beliefs, choices, and behaviors in overweight and obese school−age children: A primary care healthy choices intervention pilot study.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2011; 26: 456-464
- A primary care healthy choices intervention program for overweight and obese school−age children and their parents.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2012; 26: 126-138
- Educational research: Quantitative, qualitative, and mixed approaches.SAGE Publication, Inc, California2014
- Systematic review of multicomponent interventions with overweight middle adolescents: Implications for clinical practice and future research.Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing. 2008; 5: 113-135
- Predicting physical activity and fruit and vegetable intake in adolescents: A test of the information, motivation, behavioral skills model.Research in Nursing & Health. 2012; 35: 146-163
- Correlates among healthy lifestyle cognitive beliefs, healthy lifestyle choices, social support, and healthy behaviors in adolescents: Implications for behavioral change strategies and future research.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2011; 25: 216-223
- The lifestyle behaviours and psychosocial well−being of primary school students in Hong Kong.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010; 19: 1462-1472
- Exploring the mechanisms of physical activity and dietary behavior change in the program x intervention for adolescents.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2010; 47: 83-91
- Healthy lifestyles belief scale.2003 (Unpublished manuscript)
- Mental health correlates of healthy lifestyle attitudes, choices behaviors in overweight teens.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2006; 20: 401-406
- Psychometric theory.McGraw-Hill, New York2010
- Relationships among factors related to body mass index, healthy lifestyle beliefs and behaviors, and mental health indicators for youth in a title 1 school.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2014; 28: 234-240
- Paket programlar ile istatistiksel veri analizi.Kaan Kitabevi, Eskişehir2005
- Is the CVI an acceptable indicator of content validity? Appraisal and recommendations.Research in Nursing & Health. 2007; 30: 459-467
- Constructs of physical activity behaviour in children: The usefulness of Social Cognitive Theory.Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2012; 13: 303-310
- Essential elements of questionnaire design and development.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2007; 16: 234-243
- Sosyal ve davranışsal ölçümlerde güvenirlilik ve geçerlilik.Seçkin Yayıncılık, Ankara2005
- Yapısal eşitlik modellemesine giriş temel ilkeler ve LISREL uygulamaları.Ekinoks, İstanbul2010
- Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires.Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2007; 60: 34-42
- Many apples a day keep the blues away–daily experiences of negative and positive affect and food consumption in young adults.British Journal of Health Psychology. 2013; 18: 782-798
Published online: March 02, 2020
Accepted: February 12, 2020
Received in revised form: February 12, 2020
Received: December 11, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.