- •Family-based asthma education significantly enhanced the quality of life scores in children with asthma and their parents.
- •This improvement remained at 12-month follow-up.
- •In the experimental group, children had quality of life improvement regardless of their asthma phenotype.
- •Children in the experimental group showed better forced expiratory maneuvers than those in the control group.
- •In both groups, children with allergic asthma did not have improved pulmonary function.
- •Potential attention should be given to children with allergic asthma through special training programs.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Linguistic validation manual for patient-reported outcomes (PRO) instruments.MAPI Research Institute, Lyon, France2004 (Retrieved from)https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237088670_Linguistic_Validation_Manual_for_Patient-Reported_Outcomes_PRO_Instruments
- Quality of life in Jordanian children with asthma.International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2008; 14: 418-426https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2008.00715.x
- Having a child with asthma-quality of life for Jordanian parents.International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2009; 15: 574-579https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2009.01796.x
- Research on psychosocial aspects of asthma in the Arab world: A literature review.Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine. 2015; 10: 15https://doi.org/10.1186/s40248-015-0011-6
- Recommendations for assessing patient-reported outcomes and health-related quality of life in clinical trials on allergy: A GA 2 LEN taskforce position paper.Allergy. 2010; 65: 290-295https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2009.02263.x
- Asthma education: An essential component in asthma management.European Respiratory Journal. 2015; 46: 1262-1264https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.01303-2015
- Effect of peak flow monitoring on child asthma quality of life.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2012; 27: 18-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2010.11.001
- Establishing school-centered asthma programs.The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2014; 134: 1223-1230https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2014.10.004
- The burden of pediatric asthma.Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2018; 6: 186https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2018.00186
- Effect of family empowerment on the quality of life of school-aged children with asthma attending pediatric outpatient clinics of Tanta University and El-Mehalla El-Koubra chest hospital.3(4). 2015: 346-360
- Global strategy for asthma management and prevention, 2019.(Retrieved July 1, 2019, from)https://ginasthma.org/reports/Date: 2019
- Evaluation of a diagnostic therapeutic educational pathway for asthma management in youth.Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 2018; 29: 180-185https://doi.org/10.1111/pai.12839
- Impact of a short early therapeutic education program on the quality of life of asthmatic children and their families.Pediatric Pulmonology. 2015; 50: 213-221https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.23013
- How important is quality of life in pediatric asthma?.Pediatric Pulmonology. Supplement. 1997; 15 (Retrieved from): 17-21
- Minimum skills required by children to complete health-related quality of life instruments for asthma: Comparison of measurement properties.European Respiratory Journal. 1997; 10: 2285-2294https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.97.10102285
- Factors determining the quality of life of patients with COPD.Clinical Pulmonary Medicine. 2017; 24: 227-231https://doi.org/10.1097/CPM.0000000000000222
- Improving asthma management among African-American children via a community health worker model: Findings from a Chicago-based pilot intervention.Journal of Asthma. 2012; 49: 380-389https://doi.org/10.3109/02770903.2012.660295
McGhan, S. L., Wong, E., Sharpe, H. M., Hessel, P. A., Mandhane, P., Boechler, V. L., … Befus, A. D. (2010). L'éducation sur l'asthme pour les enfants : Le programme Roaring Adventures of Puff (RAP) améliore la qualité de vie. Canadian Respiratory Journal, 17(2), 67–73. doi:https://doi.org/10.1155/2010/327650.
- Targeting quality of life in asthmatic children: The MyTEP pilot randomized trial.Respiratory Medicine. 2019; 153: 14-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2019.05.008
- The effect of self-care education on the quality of life in children with allergic asthma.Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Nursing. 2019; 42: 304-312https://doi.org/10.1080/24694193.2018.1513098
- Behavioral interventions to improve asthma outcomes.Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2017; 17: 194-200https://doi.org/10.1097/aci.0000000000000359
National Institute of Statistics n.d.2018. Wages. Retrieved August 19, 2019, from http://www.ins.tn/en/themes/salaires. . (n.d.)
- Effect of family empowerment on the quality of life of school-aged children with asthma.Tanaffos. 2014; 13: 35-42
- Responsiveness, longitudinal- and cross-sectional construct validity of the Pediatric Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire (PAQLQ) in Dutch children with asthma.Quality of Life Research : An International Journal of Quality of Life Aspects of Treatment, Care and Rehabilitation. 2005; 14 (Retrieved from): 265-272
- Hardiness in families of young children with asthma.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005; 50: 381-390https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03403.x
- Spirometric reference values in Tunisian children.Respiration. 2004; 71: 511-518https://doi.org/10.1159/000080637
- A preliminary study to evaluate a patient-centred asthma education programme on parental control of home environment and asthma signs and symptoms in children with moderate-to-severe asthma.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010; 19: 1424-1433https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03021.x
- WHO EMRO|asthma|health topics.(Retrieved July 15, 2019, from)
- Evaluating the effectiveness of a family empowerment program on family function and pulmonary function of children with asthma: A randomized control trial.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2016; 60: 133-144https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.04.013