- •The Turkish version of the Developmental Support Competency Scale for Nurses (DSCS-N) is a reliable and valid instrument.
- •The scale can be used to assess NICU nurses' competency of developmental care practices.
- •Using the scale in NICUs in Turkey can contribute to developmental care practices.
Developmental care is considered an important component of development and health promotion of premature infants, however, studies regarding assessment of nurses' competency of developmental care are inadequate. This study is designed to determine the psychometric properties of the Turkish version of the Developmental Support Competency Scale for Nurses (DSCS-N).
Design and methods
This methodological study includes 140 nurses working at a tertiary level neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Data were collected using the Nurse Introductory Form and Developmental Support Competency Scale for Nurses. The scale was assessed in terms of language and content validity, construct validity, internal consistency and time invariance.
The scale consisted of 19 items and six subscales. In the confirmatory analysis, which is a validity analysis, it was found that the scale's factor loadings ranged between 0.27 and 0.92, and the ratio of chi-square to degrees of freedom was 1.64. Other fit indices (CFI = 0.96, NFI = 0.92, NNFI = 0.95) were at desirable levels. Cronbach's alpha coefficient was found to be 0.90. According to item analysis results, item-total correlations ranged between 0.26 and 0.66. It was found that nurses' responses to the scale items at two different times were consistent and did not change over time (p > 0.05).
DSCS-N is a valid and reliable scale for measuring Turkish nurses' competency of developmental support.
DSCS-N can be used as a tool contributing to the implementation of developmental care. The scale can help nurses working in neonatal intensive care units to determine their competency of developmental care.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Newborn Individualized Developmental Care and Assessment Program (NIDCAP): New frontier for neonatal and perinatal medicine.Journal of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. 2009; 2: 135-147https://doi.org/10.3233/NPM-2009-0061
- The neonatal integrative developmental care model: Seven neuroprotective core measures for family-centered developmental care.Newborn & Infant Nursing Reviews. 2013; 13: 9-22https://doi.org/10.1053/j.nainr.2012.12.002
- The neonatal integrative developmental care model: Advanced clinical applications of the seven core measures for neuroprotective familycentered developmental care.Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews. 2016; 16: 230-244https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2010.03779.x
- Yenidoğan yoğun bakım hemşirelerinin preterm yenidoğanlara uygulanacak terapötik pozisyonlar hakkındaki bilgi düzeyi.Güncel Pediatri. 2015; 13: 21-30
- Faktör analizi: Temel kavramlar ve ölçek geliştirmede kullanımı.Kuram ve Uygulamada Eğitim Yönetimi Dergisi. 2002; 32: 470-483
- Türkiye’deki yenidoğan hemşirelerinin profilleri ve bireyselleştirilmiş gelişimsel bakıma yönelik uygulamaları.Journal of Academic Research in Nursing. 2019; 5: 132-140https://doi.org/10.5222/jaren.2019.42104
- Sosyal Bilimler İçin Çok Değişkenli İstatistik SPSS ve LISREL Uygulamaları.Pegem Akademi, Ankara2014
- Transformative nursing in the NICU, trauma-informed age appropriate care, Chapter 8.in: Age appropriate activities of daily living. Springer Publishing Company, 2014
- Veri toplama yöntem ve araçlarıve veri toplama araçlarının güvenirlik ve geçerliği.in: Erdoğan S. Nahcivan N. Esin M.N. Hemşirelikte araştırma süreç, uygulama ve kritik. Nobel, İstanbul2014: 193-232
- Kültürlerarası ölçek uyarlaması için rehber II: psikometrik özellikler ve kültürlerarası karşılaştırma.Hemşirelikte Araştırma ve Geliştirme Dergisi. 2003; 5: 3-14
- Therapeutic positioning: Neuromotor, physiologic and sleep implications.in: Kenner C. McGrath J.M. Developmental care of newborns and infants: A guide for health professionals. National Association of Neonatal Nurses, NANN, Glenview, IL2010
- Pain in neonates is different.PAIN. 2011; 152: 65-73https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.10.008
- Development of the Developmental Support Competency Scale for Nurses caring for preterm infants.Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2016; 46: 793-803https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.6.793
- Developmental care, neonatal behavior and postnatal maternal depressive symptomatology predict internalizing problems at 18 months for very preterm children.Journal of Perinatology. 2018; 38: 191-195https://doi.org/10.1038/jp.2017.148
- Staff perceptions on Newborn Individualized Developmental Care and Assessment Program (NIDCAP) during its implementation in two Spanish neonatal units.Early Human Development. 2013; 89: 27-33https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earlhumdev.2012.07.013
- Paket programlar ile istatistiksel veri analizi.Kaan Kitabevi, Eskişehir2004: 168-192
- Factors influencing developmental care practice among neonatal intensive care unit nurses.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2019; 47: e10-e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2019.03.014
- Patterns of altered neurobehavior in preterm infants within the neonatal intensive care unit.The Journal of Pediatrics. 2013; 162: 470-476https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.08. 011
- Assessing factors influencing the quality of developmental care in neonatal intensive care units of Tehran.Iranian Journal of Pediatrics. 2017; 27e6733https://doi.org/10.5812/ijp.6733
Tavşancıl, E. (2014). Tutumların ölçülmesi ve SPSS ile veri analizi. 5. Baskı. Ankara: Nobel; 19–51.
WHO, (2020). Preterm birth, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs363/en/Accessed 4 January 2020.
- Details of content validity and objectifying it in instrument development.Nursing Practice Today. 2014; 1: 163-171
- Factors influencing implementation of developmental care among NICU nurses in China.Clinical Nursing Research. 2016; 25: 238-253https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773814547229
Published online: May 20, 2020
Accepted: April 25, 2020
Received in revised form: April 25, 2020
Received: March 6, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.