- •It's important that use valid, reliable measurement tools that accurately assess children response to medical procedures.
- •CEMS is an objective assessment tool for documenting children's emotional responses.
- •CEMS is a valid, reliable scale that can be used to determine emotional behaviors in Turkish children.
Aims and objectives
This study was conducted to determine the Turkish validity-reliability of the Children's Emotional Manifestation Scale (CEMS).
A methodological study design was used.
The research was comprised 100 children aged between 7 and 12 who underwent a surgical operation. To ensure the reliability of the scale, necessary permissions were obtained from the creator of the scale and the ethical committee. Language, content, and structure were validated for the validity of the scale.
Content validity index was calculated as 0.96. Confirmatory factor were performed for construct validity. The scale was found to have relatively good model fit indicators. To determine the reliability of the scale, internal consistency coefficient and compliance between observers were evaluated. The Cronbach Alpha coefficient of the scale was found to be 0.94, and the ICC coefficient evaluated among the observers ranged between 0.970 and 0.981.
As a result, CEMS was identified as a simple, objective, valid and reliable measurement tool that can be used to evaluate the emotional indicators of children in the Turkish population.
CEMS is appropriate clinical research tool to use in evaluating the children response to stressful medical procedures and effectiveness of interventions directed towards minimizing anxiety and bolstering coping mechanisms in children undergoing surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Applied statistics and validity-reliability.Detail Publishing, 2016: 508-520
- The measurement properties of pediatric observational pain scales: A systematic review of reviews.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2017; 73: 93-101
- Perioperative family centered care: Nursing interventions that Support Child and Family's Emotional Management.Revista portuguesa de cirurgia cardio-toracica e vascular: orgao oficial da Sociedade Portuguesa de Cirurgia Cardio-Toracica e Vascular. 2017; 24: 196
- Pediatric pain assessment and tools: The influence of culture and age on pain assessment.Turkiye Klinikleri Journal of Nursing Sciences. 2017; 9: 299-314
- Measurement in education and psychology: Classical test theory and practice (2. Eds).Pegem Academy, Ankara2010
- Preoperative preparation according to age characteristics of children.2018 (Health Sciences Research in the Globalizing World, 298)
- Child health basic nursing approaches: Pain Management in Children.Gökçe Ofset, Ankara2012: 146-171
- Exploring influencing factors of postoperative pain in school-age children undergoing elective surgery.Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 2013; 18: 243-252
- Play interventions to reduce anxiety and negative emotions in hospitalized children.BMC Pediatrics. 2016; 16: 36
- Data collection methods and tools & reliability and validity of data collection tools.in: Erdoğan S. Nahcivan N. Esin N. Research process, practice and critical in nursing. Nobel medicine bookstore, İstanbul2014: 193-232
- Therapeutic play intervention on children's perioperative anxiety, negative emotional manifestation and postoperative pain: A randomized controlled trial.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2015; 71: 1032-1043
- SPSS 23 ve AMOS 23 Uygulamalı İstatistiksel Analizler. Nobel Academic Publishing, Ankara2016: 459-551
- Children's emotional manifestation scale: Development and testing.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2005; 14: 223-229
- Assessing children's emotional responses to surgery: A multidimensional approach.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2006; 53: 543-550
- The content validity index: Are you sure you know what's being reported? Critique and recommendations.Research in Nursing & Health. 2006; 29: 489
- Pain and behaviour changes in children following surgery.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2012; 97: 879-884
- Reliability and validity in social and behavioral measurements.Seçkin Publishing, Ankara2005
- Approach to the pediatric patient during the surgical procedure.Current Pediatrics. 2013; 11: 128-133
- Pain physiopathology.SDÜ Journal of Faculty of Medicine. 2019; 26: 209-220
Published online: December 17, 2020
Accepted: November 11, 2020
Received in revised form: October 7, 2020
Received: March 5, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.