- •First randomized controlled trial of cat adoption in families of children with ASD.
- •Adoption of temperament screened shelter cat may benefit children with ASD.
- •Positive exploratory findings indicate need for study with larger sample.
The diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) occurs in one in 54 children and companion animals (CA) are common in families of children with ASD. Despite evidence of CA ownership benefits for children with ASD, little is known about cats. The purpose was to explore the impact of shelter cat adoption by families of children with ASD.
Design and methods
This was the first randomized controlled trial of adoption of a temperament screened cat by families of children with ASD. Families assigned to the treatment group adopted a cat and were followed for 18 weeks. Families assigned to the control group were followed for 18 weeks without intervention, then converted to treatment, by adopting a cat and were followed another 18 weeks. Adopted cats were screened using the Feline Temperament Profile to identify a calm temperament. Surveys measured children's social skills and anxiety and parent/child cat bonding.
Our study (N = 11) found cat adoption was associated with greater Empathy and less Separation Anxiety for children with ASD, along with fewer problem behaviors including Externalizing, Bullying and Hyperactivity/Inattention. Parents and children reported strong bonds to the cats.
This exploratory study found introduction of a cat into the home may have a positive impact on children with ASD and their parents. Based on this intial finding, future studies with larger sample sizes are recommended.
If parents of children with ASD are considering cat adoption, health care providers might consider recommending adoption of a cat screened for calm temperament.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Are pets a healthy pleasure? The influence of pets on blood pressure.Current Directions in Psychological Science. 2003; 12: 236-239https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0963-7214.2003.01269.x
- American Pet Products Association National Pet Owners Survey.2019
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental health disorders.5th ed. 2013https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596
- Surviving in the mainstream: Capacity of children with autism spectrum disorders to perform academically and regulate their emotions and behavior at school.Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2010; 4: 18-27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2009.07.002
- The effect of psychological distress on health outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies.Journal of Health Psychology. 2020; 25: 227-239https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105319842931
- Predicting friendship quality in autism spectrum disorders and typical development.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2010; 40: 751-761https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-009-0928-8
- Impact of service dogs on family members’ psychosocial functioning.American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2019; 73 (7303205120p1-7303205120p11)
- Psychometric properties of the screen for child anxiety related emotional disorders (SCARED): A replication study.Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 1999; 38: 1230-1236https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199910000-00011
- The richness of the child-pet relationship: A consideration of both benefits and costs of pets to children.Anthrozoos. 1990; 3: 253-261https://doi.org/10.2752/089279390787057469
- Sentinels of safety: Service dogs ensure safety and enhance freedom and well-being for families with autistic children.Qualitative Health Research. 2008; 18: 1642-1649https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732308327088
- children with autism spectrum disorder.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2014; 29: 114-123
- The social skills and attachment to dogs of children with autism spectrum disorder.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2015; 45: 1137-1145https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-014-2267-7
- Exploring human-companion animal interaction in familiies of children with autim.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04390-x
- Welfare implications of social stress in the domestic cat, issues in companion animal welfare.2000. International Society for Anthrozoology, Amsterdam, The Netherlands2000
- “Youth think it’s hard now...It gets much harder for our children”: Youth with autism and their caregiver’s perspectives of healthcare transition services.Autism. 2015; 19: 992-1001
- Transitions are scary for our kids, and they’re scary for us’: Family member and youth perspectives on the challenges of transitioning to adulthood with autism.Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities. 2015; 28: 548-560https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12150
- Month-long in-home case study of a social assistive robot for children with autism spectrum disorder.in: HRI ’18 companion of the ACM/IEEE international conference on human-robot interaction. 2018https://doi.org/10.1145/3173386.3177018 (Chicago, IL, USA)
- An investigation of human-animal interactions and empathy as related to pet preference, ownership, attachment, and attitudes in children.Anthrozoos. 2006; 19: 113-127https://doi.org/10.2752/089279306785593801
- A pet for the children: Factors related to family pet ownership.Anthrozoos. 1999; 12: 24-32https://doi.org/10.2752/089279399787000426
- Pet dogs and children’s health: Opportunities for chronic disease prevention?.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2015; 12https://doi.org/10.5888/pcd12.150204
- Pet ownership and attachment as supportive factors in the health of the elderly.Anthrozoos. 1989; 3: 35-44https://doi.org/10.2752/089279390787057829
- Does pet arrival trigger prosocial behaviors in individuals with autism?.PLoS One. 2012; 7e41739https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0041739
- Social skills improvement system: Rating scales.MN, Bloomington2008
- Comparability of the social skills rating system to the social skills improvement system: Content and psychometric comparisons across elementary and secondary age levels.School Psychology Quarterly. 2011; 26: 27-44https://doi.org/10.1037/a0022662
- Maladaptive behaviors of children with autism: Parent support, stress, and coping.Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing. 2012; 35: 194-214https://doi.org/10.3109/01460862.2012.734210
- Companion animals alleviating distress in children.Anthrozoos. 1999; 12: 142-148https://doi.org/10.2752/089279399787000264
- Affectionate interactions of cats with children having autism spectrum disorder.Frontiers in Veterinary Science. 2018; https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2018.00039
- Parental perceptions of the nature of the relationship children with autism spectrum disorder share with their canine companion.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2019; 49: 248-259https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-018-3759-7
- The impact of parenting stress: A meta-analysis of studies comparing the experience of parenting stress in parents of children with and without autism spectrum disorder.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2013; 43: 629-642https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-102-1604-y
- Anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorder.in: Vasa R. Roy A. Pediatric anxiety disorders. 345–377. Current Clinical Psychiatry. Humana Press, 2013
- Sensory abnormalities in autism: A brief report.Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2011; 32: 795-800https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2010.10.021
- Adolescents and adults with autism with and without co-morbid psychiatric disorders: Differences in maternal well-being.Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities. 2008; 1: 53-74https://doi.org/10.1080/19315860801988228
- Economic burden of childhood autism spectrum disorders.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: e520-e529https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-0763
- Prevalence of autism spectrum disorder among children aged 8 years - autism and developmental disabilities monitoring network, 11 sites, United States.MMWR Surveillance Summaries. 2020; 69: 1https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6904a1
- Animal-assisted therapy for children with pervasive developmental disorders.Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2002; 24: 657-670https://doi.org/10.1177/019394502320555403
- The coping cat program for children with anxiety and autism spectrum disorder: A pilot randomized controlled trial.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2013; 43: 57-67https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-012-1541-9
- Pets as social support for families of young children.Annual Meeting of the Delta Society, New York1994
- Bullying among children with autism and the influence of comorbidity with ADHD: A population based study.Ambulatory Pediatrics. 2007; 7: 253-257https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ambp.2007.02.003
- Medical comorbidities in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorders: A systematic review.European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2017; 26: 1093-1103https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-017-1020-0
- Animal-assisted intervention for autism spectrum disorder: A systematic literature review.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2013; 43: 1606-1622https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-012-1707-5
- Research on animal-assisted intervention and autism spectrum disorder, 2012-2015.Applied Developmental Science. 2017; 21: 200-216https://doi.org/10.1080/10888691.2016.1243988
- The companion animal bonding scale: Internal reliability and construct validity.Psychological Reports. 1987; 60: 743-746https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993
- Clinical correlates of parenting stress in children with autism spectrum disorder and serious behavioral problems.Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2019; 28: 2069-2077https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-019-01423-7
- Occupational therapy incorporating animals for children with autism: A pilot investigation.The American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2006; 60: 268-274https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.60.3.268
- Parenting aggravation and autism spectrum disorders: 2007 National Survey of Children’s health.Disability and Health Journal. 2011; 4: 143-152https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2010.09.002
- Validation of a temperament test for domestic cats.Anthrozoos: A Multidisciplinary Journal of The Interactions of People & Animals. 2003; 16: 332-351https://doi.org/10.2752/089279303786991982
- Developmental trajectories in adolescents and adults with autism: The case of daily living skills.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2012; 51: 622-631https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2012.03.001
- What a dog can do: Children with autism and therapy dogs in social interaction.Ethos. 2010; 38: 143-166https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1548-1352.2010.01085.x
- Prevalence of co-occurring medical and behavioral conditions/symptoms among 4- and 8-year-old children with autism spectrum disorder in selected areas of the United States in 2010.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2018; 48: 2663-2676https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-018-3521-1
- Understanding the human-cat relationship: Human social support or attachment.Anthrozoos. 1999; 12: 162-168https://doi.org/10.2752/089279399787000237
- Anxiety levels in children with autism spectrum disorder: A meta-analysis.Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2017; 26: 1753-17667https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-017-0687-7
- Changes in the mother-child relationship during the transition to adulthood for youth with autism spectrum disorders.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2011; 41: 1397-1410https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-010-1166-9
- https://indoorpet.osu.edu/catsDate: 2018
- Interrelationship between insistence on sameness, effortful control and anxiety in adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).Molecular Autism. 2017; 8https://doi.org/10.1186/s13229-017-0158-4
- Effect of dogs on salivary cortisol secretion in autistic children.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2010; 35: 1187-1193https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2010.02.004
- Sibling experiences: Living with young persons with autism spectrum disorders.Pediatric Nursing. 2016; 42: 69-7627254975
- Pet dogs improve family functioning and reduce anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorder.Anthrozoos. 2015; 28: 611-624https://doi.org/10.1080/08927936.2015.1070003
Published online: December 06, 2020
Accepted: November 18, 2020
Received in revised form: November 18, 2020
Received: July 13, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.