- •Assessment of empowering counselling in well-child visits is critical.
- •The Portuguese Empowering Speech Practices Scale version shows good initial validity and reliability.
- •The Portuguese version of ESPS is similar to original version with two components.
- •The Portuguese ESPS can give unique insight relating family and nurse perspectives.
- •The Portuguese ESPS can be adapted for use in other countries given its universal items.
Design and methods
Conclusions and implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Assessment of patient empowerment - a systematic review of measures.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0126553
- Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures.Spine. 2000; 25: 3186-3191
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers, 1988
- Systematic review of empowerment measures in health promotion.Health Promotion International. 2016; 31: 809-826
- Programa nacional de saúde infantil e juvenil [child and youth national health program] [PDF file].(Direção-Geral da Saúde)https://www.dgs.pt/documentos-e-publicacoes/programa-tipo-de-atuacao-em-saude-infantil-e-juvenil.aspxDate: 2013
- Family-centered practices in early childhood intervention.in: Reichow B. Boyd B.A. Barton E.E. Odom S.L. Handbook of early childhood special education (pp. 37–55). 2016 (Springer International)
- Modeling the relationships between practitioner capacity-building practices and the behavior and development of young children with disabilities and delays.Educational Research Review. 2019; 14: 309-319
- Meta-analysis of family-centered helpgiving practices research.Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews. 2007; 13: 370-378
- Influences of family-systems intervention practices on parent-child interactions and child development.Topics in Early Childhood Special Education. 2010; 30: 3-19
- Toward clarification of the meaning and key elements of empowerment.Family Science Review. 1992; 5: 11-130
- The strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: Guidelines for reporting observational studies.International Journal of Surgery. 2014; 12: 1495-1499
- Factor analysis.Lawrence Erlbaum, 1983
- Health promotion planning: An educational and environmental approach.Mayfield Publishing, 1991
- A systematic review of questionnaires measuring health-related empowerment.Research and Theory for Nursing Practice. 2009; 23: 107-132
- IBM SPSS statistics for windows (version 26.0.).IBM Corp, 2019
- A new understanding of health related empowerment in the context of an active and healthy ageing.BMC Health Services Research. 2019; 19: 242
- Developing empowering counseling measurement. Preliminary results.Patient Education and Counseling. 2006; 64: 159-166
- Speech practices that facilitate patient participation in health counseling–a way to empowerment?.Health Education Journal. 2003; 62: 326-340
- Empowering counseling - a case study: Nurse–patient encounter in a hospital.Health Education Research. 2001; 16: 227-238
- Impact of family structure, functioning culture and family-based interventions on children’s health.in: Korin M.R. Health promotion for children and adolescents (p.57–81). Springer, 2016
- Family-centered practices and the parental well-being of young children with disabilities and developmental delay.Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2019; 94: 103495
- Bilhete de identidade dos cuidados de saúde primários [Primary health care identity card].(Serviço Nacional de Saúde)https://bicsp.min-saude.pt/Date: 2018
- Plano de ação para a literacia em saúde 2019–2021 – Portugal. [Health literacy action plan 2029-2021 - Portugal]. Direção-Geral da Saúde.https://www.dgs.pt/documentos-e-publicacoes/plano-de-acao-para-a-literacia-em-saude-2019-2021.aspxDate: 2018
- The COSMIN checklist for assessing the methodological quality of studies on measurement properties of health status measurement instruments: An international Delphi study.Quality of Life Research. 2010; 19: 539-549
- Regulamento do perfil de competências do enfermeiro de cuidados gerais. [PDF file]. Ordem dos Enfermeiros.
- The importance of screening for healthy weight and recommending healthy lifestyles in pediatric patients.North Carolina Medical Journal. 2013; 74: 34-38
- Questioning and advising in health counselling: Results from a study of Finnish nurse counsellors.Health Education Journal. 2000; 59: 69-89
- Optimal number of response categories in rating scales: Reliability, validity, discriminatory power and respondent preferences.Acta Psychologica. 2000; 104: 1-15
- Developing effective helping relationships in health education practice.Health Education & Behavior. 1997; 24: 683-702
- Missing data: Our view of the state of the art.Psychological Methods. 2002; 7: 147-177
- Using multivariate statistics.2013 (Pearson)
- Early adiposity rebound: Review of papers linking this to subsequent obesity in children and adults.Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 2005; 8: 607-612
- Empowerment: A conceptual discussion.Health Care Analysis. 2008; 16: 77-96
- Participation in paediatric research studies.in: Zlotnik Shaul R. Paediatric patient and family-centred care: Ethical and legal issues (pp. 187–207). Springer, 2014
- The total survey error approach: A guide to the new science of survey research.The University of Chicago Press, 2005
- A tipology of youth participation and empowerment for children and adolescent health promotion.American Journal of Community Psychology. 2010; 46: 100-114
- Global action plan for the prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases 2013–2020. [PDF file].World Health Organization, 2013
- Framework on integrated people-centred health services. [PDF file].World Health Organization, 2016
- Integrating diet, physical activity and weight management services into primary care. [PDF file].World Health Organization, 2016
- Noncommunicable diseases.World Health Organization, 2018 (June)
- Global conference on primary health care [PDF file].World Health Organization, 2018
- Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.(World Medical Association)https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/Date: 2013