- •The ethnonursing research method explored healthy weight care in Karen families.
- •Transportation barriers limit exercise in Karen-American children/adolescents.
- •Traditional Karen meals prepared at home are preferred by Karen-American children.
- •Cross-language methods developed access to and trust with ethnic minority community.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Does the association between early life growth and later obesity differ by race/ethnicity or socioeconomic status? A systematic review.Annals of Epidemiology. 2017; 27 (583-592.e585)
- Somali, Latino and Hmong parents’ perceptions and approaches about raising healthy-weight children: A community-based participatory research study.Public Health Nutrition. 2018; 21: 1079-1093
- Associations of short sleep duration with childhood obesity and weight gain: Summary of a presentation to the National Academy of Science’s roundtable on obesity solutions.Sleep Health. 2017; 3: 389-392
- Refugees from Burma: Their backgrounds and refugee experiences.(Culture Profile No. 21)in: Ranard D.A. Barron S. Cultural Orientation Resource Center. Center for Applied Lingustics, 2007
- Burmese in the U.S. fact sheet.Pew Research Center, 2021, April 29
- Comprehensive school physical activity programs: A guide for schools.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2013https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/physicalactivity/pdf/13_242620-A_CSPAP_SchoolPhysActivityPrograms_Final_508_12192013.pdf
- Cultural influences on childhood obesity in ethnic minorities: A qualitative systematic review.Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2020; 31: 87-99
Chatham, R. E., & Mixer, S. J. (in press). Methods, ethics, and cross-language considerations in research with ethnic minority children. Nursing Research.
- School lunch waste among middle school students: Nutrients consumed and costs.American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2013; 44: 114-121
- The addition of spices and herbs to vegetables in the National School Lunch Program increased vegetable intake at an urban, economically-underserved, and predominantly African-American high school.Food Quality and Preference. 2021; 88
- 2018 Yearbook of immigration statistics: Table 14. Refugee arrivals by region and country of nationality: Fiscal years 2016 to 2018.
- Adolescent Burmese refugees perspectives on determinants of health.Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2018; 20: 370-379
- Application of the three modes of culture care decisions and actions in advanced practice primary care.in: McFarland M.R. Wehbe-Alamah H.B. Leininger’s Culture Care Diversity and Universality: A worldwide nursing theory. 3rd ed. Jones & Bartlett Learning, LLC, 2015: 317-344
- Children's ongoing and relational negotiation of informed assent in child-researcher, child-child and child-parent interaction.Childhood. 2017; 24: 300-315
- “The pain of exile”: What social workers need to know about Burmese refugees.Social Work. 2016; 61: 127-135
- Prevalence of obesity among adults and youth: United States, 2015-2016.National Center for Health Statistics Data Brief. 2017; 288: 1-8
- Neighborhood disparities in access to healthy foods and their effects on environmental justice.American Journal of Public Health. 2012; 102: 1644-1654
- Nurses’ barriers to care of ethnic minorities: A qualitative systematic review.Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2020; 42: 760-771
- Youth risk behavior surveillance — United States, 2017.Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report Surveillance Summary 2018. 2018, June 15; 67: 1-114
- Determinants of diet for urban aboriginal youth: Implications for health promotion.Health Promotion Pracitice. 2015; 16: 392-400
- Coordinating community planning for transportation and health.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2019; 321: 2393-2394
- Community integration of Burmese refugees in the United States.Asian American Journal of Psychology. 2015; 6: 333-341
- The role of culture in shaping health perceptions and behaviors of resettled Karen refugees.Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2021; 32: 145-152https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659620902836
- 90th anniversary commentary: Obesity among offspring of US immigrants: After 20 years, a need to safeguard children from the obesogenic environment.The Journal of Nutrition. 2018; 148: 1674-1677
- Racism as a root cause approach: A new framework.Pediatrics. 2021; 147
- Latino mothers’ beliefs about child weight and family health.Public Health Nutrition. 2017; 20: 1099-1106
- Yup’ik identity and socioeconomic status are associated with child consumption of traditional food and weight in rural Yup’ik communities.Ethnicity & Health. 2019; 24: 312-322
- Incidence trends of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among youths, 2002-2012.New England Journal of Medicine. 2017; 376: 1419-1429
- The theory of culture care diversity and universality.in: McFarland M.R. Wehbe-Alamah H.B. Leininger’s transcultural nursing: Concepts, theories, research & practice. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill Education, 2018: 39-56
- The theory of culture care diversity and universality.in: McFarland M.R. Wehbe-Alamah H.B. Leininger’s culture care diversity and universality: A worldwide nursing theory. 3rd ed. Jones & Bartlett Learning, LLC, 2015: 1-34
- Sleep duration and incidence of obesity in infants, children, and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies.Sleep. 2018; 41
- Supporting scheduled recess [Position Statement].https://www.nasn.org/nasn/advocacy/professional-practice-documents/position-statements/ps-recessDate: 2019, January
- Home environmental influences on childhood obesity in the Latino population: A decade review of literature.Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2017; 19: 430-447
- Screening for obesity and intervention for weight management in children and adolescents: Evidence report and systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2017; 317: 2427-2444
- Differences in obesity prevalence by demographics and urbanization in US children and adolescents, 2013-2016.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2018; 319: 2410-2418
- Psychology of intelligence.in: Ogden C.K. The International Library of Psychology, Philosophy, and Scientific Method. Littlefield, Adams, & Co, 1960 (Original work published 1947)
- A scoping review: Family and child perspectives of clinic-based obesity treatment.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2020; 57: 56-72
- Factors influencing children's eating behaviours.Nutrients. 2018; 10
- Perspectives of obese children and their parents on lifestyle behavior change: A qualitative study.International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2015; 12: 102
- Cultural underpinnings of gender development: Studying gender among children of immigrants.Child Development. 2019; 90: 1005-1015
- Absence of adolescent obesity in Grenada: Is this a generational effect?.Frontiers in Public Health. 2018; 6: 204
- The role of neighborhood characteristics and the built environment in understanding racial/ethnic disparities in childhood obesity.Preventive Medicine. 2016; 91: 103-109
- A systematic review and meta-analysis estimating the population prevalence of comorbidities in children and adolescents aged 5 to 18 years.Obesity Reviews. 2019; 20: 1341-1349
- A systematic review of interventions to minimize transportation barriers among people with chronic diseases.Journal of Community Health. 2019; 44: 400-411
- Reducing racial/ethnic disparities in childhood obesity: The role of early life risk factors.JAMA Pediatrics. 2013; 167: 731-738
- A portrait of refugees from Burma/Myanmar and Bhutan in the United States.Journal of Asian American Studies. 2015; 18: 347-369
- Genetic evidence for causal relationships between maternal obesity-related traits and birth weight.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2016; 315: 1129-1140
- Physical activity guidelines for Americans.2nd ed. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2018
- The ethnonursing research method.in: McFarland M.R. Wehbe-Alamah H.B. Leininger’s culture care diversity and universality: A worldwide nursing theory. 3rd ed. Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2015: 35-71
- Experiences of Karen refugees with traditional and western medicine in the USA.International Journal of Migration Health and Social Care. 2018; 14: 387-399
- The unrelenting challenge of obesity.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2016; 315: 2277-2278