- •Communication of death involves planning and an engaged and skilled team.
- •Synchrony between team and family times in the family interview is important.
- •Emotional support involves understanding the grieving process and the beliefs of each family.
- •The talk about organ and tissue donation needs to be separated from the news of death.
- •Knowledge, skill and attitude are required to recognize legal, ethical, moral, cultural, family and organizational parameters.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- The effect of psychological support for the relatives of intensive care unit patients on cadaveric organ donation rate.Transplantation Proceedings. 2014; 46: 3249-3252
- A survey on pediatric brain death and on organ transplantation: How did the law amendment change the awareness of pediatric healthcare providers.Child’s Nervous System. 2017; 33: 1769-1774
- Interactions between health care personnel and parents approached for organ and/or tissue donation: Influences on parents’ adjustment to loss.Progress in Transplantation. 2015; 25: 124-130
- Content analysis.1th ed. Almedina, 2011
- What are effective strategies for the implementation of care bundles on ICUs: A systematic review.Implementation Science. 2015; 10: 119
- Decree n. 9.175, from October 2017: regulates Law n. 9434, of February 4, 1997, to deal with the Disposal of Organs, Tissues, Cells and Parts of the Human Body for the Purposes of Transplantation and Treatment.(Retrieved from)Accessed July 19, 2021)
- Brazilian registry of transplants: Sizing of Transplants in Brazil and in each state.(Retrieved from)Accessed July 19, 2021)
- Kübler-Ross and the re-visioning of death as loss: Religious appropriation and responses.The Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling. 2019; 73: 4-8
- AGREE II: Advancing guideline development, reporting and evaluation in healthcare.Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013; 182: 839-842
- The family experience in light of the possibility of organ and tissue donation for transplantation.Journal of Psychology, Diversity and Health. 2017; 6: 114-120
- Parents’ experiences of requests for organ and tissue donation: The value of asking.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2019; 104: 837-843
- Exploring nurses’ knowledge, attitudes and feelings towards organ and tissue donation after circulatory death within the pediatric intensive care setting in the United Kingdom: A qualitative content analysis study psycinfo.Intensive & Critical Care Nursing. 2019; 54: 71-78
- A glance at the good practices of nursing in primary care.Revista Brasileira de Enfermagem. 2018; 71: 930-931
- Psychological profile of teenagers toward organ donation: A multicentric study in Spain.European Journal of Public Health. 2019; 29: 1011-1018
Gasco, V.J.P., Espert, M.C.G., & Moreno, SV. (2019). The influence of nurse education and training on communication, emotional intelligence, and empathy. Revista da Escola de Enfermagem da USP, 53, Article e03465. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1980-220X201801590346
- Challenges of pediatric organ donation.Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health. 2017; 53: 534-539
- Qualitative research process applied to organ donation.Transplantation Proceedings. 2018; 50: 2992-2996
- GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.British Medical Journal. 2008; 336: 924
- Crowdsourced analysis of factors and misconceptions associated with parental willingness to donate their child’s organs.Pediatric Transplantation. 2019; 23 (Article e13606)
- The unexpected death of a child and the experience of emergency service personnel.Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2018; 44: 64-70
- Body perception and organ donation: Bereaved Parents’ perspectives.Qualitative Health Research. 2019; 29: 1623-1633
- Evidence-based practice in nursing and healthcare: A guide to best practice.4th ed. Wolters Kluwer, 2019
- Brain death communication to family members: A survey with health professionals.Revista da Sociedade Brasiliera de Psicologia Hospitalar. 2018; 21 (Retrieved from:) (Accessed July 19, 2021): 192-217
- Explaining nurses’ experiences of caring for brain dead patients: A content analysis.Electronic Physician. 2018; 10: 7205-7216
- Family interview to enable donation of organs for transplantation: Evidence-based practice.Transplantation Proceedings. 2018; 50: 705-710
- Death education group: A strategy to complement undergraduate education of health professionals.Psicologia Ciência e Profissão. 2017; 37: 500-514
- Fundamentals of nursing research: Evidence assessment for nursing practice.(9th Ed.). Artmed, 2019
- The experiences of bereaved parents after the loss of a child to Cancer: A qualitative Metasynthesis.Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing. 2020; 37: 444-457
- Using Care Bundles to Improve Health Care Quality.(Retrieved from:)Accessed July 9, 2021)
- Become a person.1th ed. Martins Fontes, 1961
- Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplantation: The Alicante Family Interview Model for Organ Donation for Transplantation.(Retrieved from)
- The methodology of integrative review of literature in nursing.Revista Investigação em Enfermagem. 2017; 17 (Retrieved from:) (Accessed July 19, 2021): 17
- Bereaved donor families' experiences of organ and tissue donation, and perceived influences on their decision making.Journal of Critical Care. 2018; 45: 89-92
- Canadian guideline for controlled pediatric donation after circulatory determination of death-summary.Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2017; 18: 1035-1046
- Keys to successful organ procurement: An experience-based review of clinical practices at a high-performing health-care organization.International Journal of Critical Illness and Injury Science. 2017; 7: 91-100
- Communication theories.8th ed. Editorial Presença, 2006
- Grief counseling and grief therapy: A handbook for the mental health practitioner.15th ed. Springer Publishing Company, 2018
- Attitudes and awareness towards organ donation among parents of pediatric brain death patients in a pediatric intensive care unit in eastern Turkey.Annals of Transplantation. 2020; 25 (article e920527)
- Implementing a pressure injury care bundle in Chinese intensive care units.Risk Management and Healthcare Policy. 2021; 14: 2435-2442