- •Pediatric cardiac catheterization is a source of pain, which cannot be fully treated with medications.
- •Music therapy during pediatric cardiac catheterization has an effect on reduction of pain, fear, anxiety.
- •Music therapy has an effect on stabilization of vital signs.
- •Nurses can improve children's comfort by using musical interventions.
Design and methods
Conclusion and practice implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Not all sounds have negative effects on children undergoing cardiac surgery.Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. 2015; 29: 1277-1284
- Risk factors for the development of post-traumatic stress disorder and coping strategies in mothers and fathers following infant hospitalisation in the neonatal intensive care unit.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2017; 26: 4436-4445
- Use of complementary and alternative medicine in pediatric patients in Saudi Arabia.Journal of Herbal Medicine. 2021; 27100428
- Validation and properties of the verbal numeric scale in children with acute pain.PAIN®. 2010; 149: 216-221
- Does listening to music during tonsillectomy affect sevoflurane consumption?.Medical Principles and Practice. 2018; 27: 343-349
- Effect of listening to music on anxiety and physiological parameters during coronary angiography: A randomized clinical trial.European Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2018; 23: 37-42
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences–Second Edition.Vol. 12. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc, Hillsdale, New Jersey1988: 13
- Effect of music therapy on patıents’ anxiety and hemodynamic parameters during percutaneous coronary interventıon: A randomized controlled trial.Acıbadem University Health Sciences Journal. 2018; 9: 130-136
- The effect of music therapy on the level of anxiety in the patients undergoing coronary angiography.Open Journal of Nursing. 2012; 2: 165-169
- Music can reduce the need for pharmacologic conscious sedation during invasive coronary angiography.The Journal of Invasive Cardiology. 2020; 32: 440-444
- Aspects related to the interconnection between music and the human brain. Scientific discoveries and contemporary challenges.Artes. Journal of Musicology. 2021; 24: 224-241
- Effect of music therapy on patients’ anxiety and hemodynamic parameters during coronary angioplasty: A randomized controlled trial.Nursing and Midwifery Studies. 2015; 4e25800
- Johann Sebastian Bachs the art of fugue.Goldberg Early Music Magazine. 2006; 48: 64-73
- The therapeutic effects of music in children following cardiac surgery.Jornal de Pediatria. 2006; 82: 186-192
- The effect of music on anxiety and cardiovascular indices in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft: A randomized controlled trial.Nursing and Midwifery Studies. 2015; 4e31157
- Klinik denemelerde randomizasyon.Marmara Medical Journal. 2011; 24: 149-155
- Music interventions in pediatric surgery (the music under surgery in children study): A randomized clinical trial.Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2020; 130: 991-1001
- Use of complementary or alternative medicine and potential interactions with chronic medications among Chinese survivors of childhood cancer..Journal of Cancer Survivorship. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-021-01051-5
- Effects of music therapy on anxiety and physiologic parameters in angiography: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery. 2019; 11: 416-423
- Assessment of anxiety in intensive care patients by using the faces anxiety scale.American Journal of Critical Care. 2004; 13: 146-152
- Children’s fear during procedural pain: Preliminary investigation of the children’s fear scale.Health Psychology. 2011; 30: 780
- A systematic review on the neural effects of music on emotion regulation: Implications for music therapy practice.Journal of Music Therapy. 2013; 50: 198-242
- Soothing music can increase oxytocin levels during bed rest after open-heart surgery: A randomised control trial.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2009; 18: 2153-2161
- Impact of a child life and music therapy procedural support intervention on parental perception of their child’s distress during intravenous placement.Pediatric Emergency Care. 2019; 35: 498-505
- Music therapy and musical stimulation in the context of prematurity: A narrative literature review from 2010–2015.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2018; 27: e1-e20
- Power comparisons of shapiro-wilk, kolmogorov-smirnov, lilliefors and Anderson-darling tests.Journal of Statistical Modeling and Analytics. 2011; 2: 21-33
- The impact of listening to pleasant natural sounds on anxiety and physiologic parameters in patients undergoing coronary angiography: A pragmatic quasi-randomized-controlled trial.Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 2016; 25: 42-51
- Effect of sleep-inducing music on sleep in persons with percutaneous transluminal coronary angiography in the cardiac care unit.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2012; 21: 728-735
- Clinical versus statistical significance.PM&R. 2012; 4: 442-445
- State-trait anxiety inventory for children.Consulting Psychologists Press Palo Alto, CA1973
- Effects of non-pharmacological interventions on preoperative anxiety and postoperative pain in patients undergoing breast cancer surgery: A systematic review.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2021; 30: 3369-3384https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.15827
- Determination of anxiety levels of coronary angiography patients and their spouses..Eurasian JHS. 2021; 4: 80-90
- Music therapy can lower the heart rates of severely sick children.Acta Paediatrica. 2016; 105: 1225-1230
- Music intervention study in abdominal surgery patients: Challenges of an intervention study in clinical practice.International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2013; 19: 206-213
- Music interventions in patients during coronary angiographic procedures: A randomized controlled study of the effect on patients’ anxiety and well-being.European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2011; 10: 88-93