- •Caregivers had suboptimal understanding of the disease process and home management.
- •All caregivers reported that they would benefit from additional asthma education.
- •27% of caregivers reported that they had a written asthma control plan.
- •13% caregivers reported the correct mechanism of action and use of inhaled steroids.
- •Caregivers reported that they frequently felt stressed about caring for their child.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Statistical brief #242. Healthcare cost and utilization project (HCUP).
- Using video discharge instructions as an adjunct to standard written instructions improved caregivers' understanding of their child's emergency department visit, plan, and follow-up: A randomized controlled trial.Pediatric Emergency Care. 2013; 29: 699-704
- Cochrane database of systematic reviews.
- Asthma surveillance data.
- Emergency department summary tables.2017: 2015
- Asthma in children.
- CDC - asthma - data and surveillance – asthma surveillance data.http://www.cdc.gov/asthma/asthmadata.htmDate: 2018
- Most recent national asthma data.
- Global strategy for asthma management and prevention.www.ginasthma.orgDate: 2021
- Patient discharge instructions in the emergency department and their effects of comprehension and recall of discharge instruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2020; 3: 435-444
- Impact of video discharge instructions for pediatric fever and closed head injury from the emergency department.The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2016; 3: e177-e183
- The economic burden of asthma in the United States, 2008–2013.Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2018; 15: 348-356
- State-based Medicaid costs for pediatric asthma emergency department visits.Prevention of Chronic Disease. 2014; 11: E108
- Implementation of an asthma self-management education guideline in the emergency department.Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal. 2018; 1: 45-58
- Patient preference for medical information in the emergency department: Post-test survey of a random allocation intervention.Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2019; 45: 517-522
- Patient education in the emergency department: A systematic review of interventions and outcomes.Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal. 2008; 1: 34-49
- 2020 Focused updates to the asthma management guidelines.
- Vital signs: Asthma in children — United States, 2001–2016.2018