- •Depressive symptoms among multicultural adolescents slightly has increased over time.
- •Higher ego-resilience levels were associated with fewer depressive symptoms.
- •Social support was inversely correlated with depression
- •Social support's moderating effect between ego-resilience and depression was not observed.
- •Intervention programs are needed to strengthen ego-resilience and social support for multicultural adolescents.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- The relationship between bicultural identity, acculturative stress, and psychological well-being in multicultural adolescents: Verification using multivariate latent growth modelling.Stress and Health. 2020; 36: 51-58
- The relationship between social capital, acculturative stress and depressive symptoms in multicultural adolescents: Verification using multivariate latent growth modeling.International Journal of Intercultural Relations. 2020; 74: 127-135
- Using generalized estimating equations for longitudinal data analysis.Organizational Research Methods. 2004; 7: 127-150
- Venturing a 30-year longitudinal study.The American Psychologist. 2006; 61: 315-327
- IQ and ego-resiliency: Conceptual and empirical connections and separateness.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1996; 70: 349-361
- Social relationships and health.The American Psychologist. 2004; 59: 676-684
- Stress, social support, and the buffering hypothesis.Psychological Bulletin. 1985; 98: 310-357
- Systematic review of universal resilience-focused interventions targeting child and adolescent mental health in the school setting.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2017; 56: 813-824
- Can social support buffer the association between depression and suicidal ideation in adolescent boys and girls?.Psychology in the Schools. 2018; 55: 490-505
- Social support and protection from depression: Systematic review of current findings in Western countries.The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2016; 209: 284-293
- Meta-analysis of the factors that influence adolescent depression.Journal of the Korean Society for Wellness. 2017; 12: 61-75
- The relation of stress and perceived social support to problem behavior.Korean Journal of Child Studies. 1996; 17: 173-188
- The relationship between resilience and levels of anxiety, depression, and obsessive–compulsive symptoms in adolescents.Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy. 2011; 18: 314-321
- Increasing ego-resilience using clay with low SES (social economic status) adolescents in group art therapy.The Arts in Psychotherapy. 2012; 39: 245-250
- Comparison of factors influencing depression between non-multicultural and multicultural middle school students.Journal of the Korean Society of School Health. 2019; 32: 10-19
- The effect of multicultural adolescents’ relations with teachers on depression and social withdrawal: The mediated effect of self-resiliency and acculturation stress.Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2020; 20: 571-590
- Adult mental health outcomes of adolescent depression: A systematic review.Depression and Anxiety. 2018; 35: 700-716
- Comparative study of adolescents’ mental health between multicultural family and monocultural family in Korea.Journal of the Korean Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2015; 26: 279-287
- Moderating effects of ego-resilience on the relationship between academic stress and school adjustment of adolescent.Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2017; 18: 145-151
- Psychological characteristics according to the level of ego-resilience among adolescents.Journal of the Korean Society of Biological Therapies in Psychiatry. 2018; 24: 156-162
- A study on the influence of experiences of discrimination to multicultural families’ adolescents on their characteristics: Focused on raw-data of National Survey of multicultural families 2012.The Journal of Asiatic Studies. 2015; 58: 6-41
- About the multicultural family support center.(Retrieved from)(Accessed March 7, 2022)
- About the wee project.(Retrieved from)(Accessed March 7, 20220)
- 2020 educational statistics.(Retrieved from)https://www.moe.go.kr/boardCnts/view.do?boardID=294&boardSeq=81682&lev=0&searchType=null&statusYN=W&page=1&s=moe&m=020402&opType=N(Accessed February 24, 2022)Date: 2020
- Experience in depressive symptom.(Retrieved from)https://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=177&tblId=DT_117_12_Y068&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=117_11758_011&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=MT_ZTITLE(Accessed February 24, 2022)Date: 2020
- Physical activity, resilience, and depressive symptoms in adolescence.Mental Health and Physical Activity. 2014; 7: 79-85
- Social, demographic, and health outcomes in the 10 years following adolescent depression.The Journal of Adolescent Health. 2013; 52: 533-538
- The study on the eco-systemic variables affecting multicultural family adolescents’ depression.Korea Association of Community Welfare Studies. 2016; 56: 1-27
- A latent profile analysis on depression and ego-resiliency of adolescents in multi-cultural families.The Journal of Multicultural Society. 2018; 11: 295-319
- Health risk behaviors and psychological problems among south Korean, north Korean, and other multicultural family adolescents (2011–2016).Psychiatry Research. 2018; 268: 373-380
- A meta-analytic review of the association between perceived social support and depression in childhood and adolescence.Psychological Bulletin. 2016; 142: 1017-1067
- 2020 Adolescent statistics.(Retrieved from)(Accessed February 24, 2022)
- 2020 Marriage and divorce rate.(Retrieved from)(Accessed February 24, 2022)
- Do adolescents in care systematically under-report their mental health difficulties in population studies? A narrative review.Developmental Child Welfare. 2019; 1: 251-272
- The effect of self-esteem and self-resilience on depression of multicultural adolescents: Focused on the mediating effect of acculturative stress.Journal of Diaspora Studies. 2020; 14: 155-192
- The relationship between perceived stress and adolescent depression: The roles of social support and gender.Social Indicators Research. 2015; 123: 501-518