- •Venipuncture is one of the procedures that cause pain, anxiety, and fear in children.
- •Active and passive distraction methods are frequently used in the nursing management of procedural pain in children.
- •Cartoon watching and bubble-blowing are effective methods in reducing venipuncture pain in children.
- •Cartoon watching is more effective than bubble-blowing in reducing venipuncture-induced pain, anxiety, and fear.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- The use of the buzzy, jet lidokaine, bubble-blowing and aromatherapy for reducing pediatric pain, stress and fear associated with phlebotomy.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2019; 45: e64-e72
- Active and passive distraction interventions in a pediatric emergency department to reduce the pain and anxiety during venous blood sampling: A randomized clinical trial.Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2020; 46: 779-790
- Comparison of the effectiveness of three different methods in decreasing pain during venipuncture in children: Ball squeezing, balloon inflating and distraction cards.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2016; 25: 2328-2335
- The effects of distraction on preoperative anxiety level in children.Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing : Official Journal of the American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. 2016; 31: 56-62
- Analgesic effect of watching TV during venipuncture.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2006; 91: 1015-1017
- Efficacy of non-pharmacological methods of pain management in children undergoing venipuncture in a pediatric outpatient clinic: A randomized controlled trial of audiovisual distraction and external cold and vibration.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2018; 42: e66-e72
- Psychological interventions for needle-related procedural pain and distress in children and adolescents. The.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2018; 2018
- CONSORT statement for randomized trials of nonpharmacologic treatments: A 2017 update and a CONSORT extension for nonpharmacologic trial abstracts.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2017; 167: 40-47
- Clinical practice guideline: Needle-related or minor procedural pain in pediatric patients.Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2019; 45: 437.e1-437.e32
- The effectiveness of distraction as procedural pain management technique in pediatric oncology patients: A meta-analysis and systematic review.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2017; 54: 589-600.e1
- Effectiveness of cartoon animation video on pain during venepuncture among 3-6 year old children.Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health. 2021; 50: 299-305
- Procedural pain in hospitalized children in a chinese children’s hospital.Pain Management Nursing. 2021; 22: 414-422
- A comparison of the effect of visual and auditory distractions on physiological indicators and pain of burn dressing change among 6-12-year-old children: A clinical trial study.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2021; 58: e81-e86
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd Ed).Routledge, 1988
- The assessment and management of acute pain in infants, children, and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: 793-797
- Procedural pain management: A position statement with clinical practice recommendations.Pain Management Nursing. 2011; 12: 95-111
- The effect of a cartoon and an information video about intravenous insertion on pain and fear in children aged 6 to 12 years in the pediatric emergency unit: A randomized controlled trial.Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2021; 47: 76-87
- The effect of three different methods on venipuncture pain and anxiety in children: Distraction cards, virtual reality, and buzzy® (randomized controlled trial).Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families. 2021; 58: e54-e62
- Validation of a clinically useful measure of children’s state anxiety before medical procedures.Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 2013; 18: 311-319
- Gaining of children’s state anxiety and children’s fear scale to Turkish language.DEUHFED. 2018; 11: 9-13
- Reducing pain and fear in children during venipuncture: A randomized controlled study.Pain Management Nursing. 2020; 21: 276-282
- Pain prevalence in a pediatric hospital: Raising awareness during Pain Awareness Week.Pain Research & Management. 2014; 19: 24-30
- Effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral program on pain and fear in school-aged children undergoing intravenous placement.Asian Nursing Research. 2017; 11: 261-267
- Efficacy of cartoon viewing devices during phlebotomy in children: A randomized controlled trial.Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 2020; 35: 407-412
- Distraction techniques for children undergoing procedures: A critical review of pediatric research.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2012; 27: 652-681
- Current concepts in management of pain in children in the emergency department.The Lancet. 2016; 387: 83-92
- The effects of two methods on venipuncture pain in children: Procedural restraint and cognitive-behavioral intervention package.Pain Management Nursing. 2020; 21: 594-600
- Virtual reality distraction for acute pain in children. The.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2020; 10
- Introduction to statistics and SPSS in psychology. Pearson, 2013
- A conceptual model of factors influencing children’s responses to a painful procedure when parents are distraction coaches.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2006; 21: 88-98
- Children’s fear during procedural pain: Preliminary investigation of the Children’s Fear Scale.Health Psychology. 2011; 30: 780-788
- Effects of nonpharmacologic distraction methods on children’s postoperative pain-a nonmatched case-control study.Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 2020; 35: 147-154
- The effect of virtual reality and kaleidoscope on pain and anxiety levels during venipuncture in children.Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 2020; 35: 206-211
- A cross-sectional review of pain management interventions used for painful pediatric blood draw procedures in hospital.Pain Management Nursing. 2021; 22: 645-651
- Health care providers’ experiences of the non-pharmacological pain and anxiety management and its barriers in the pediatric intensive care units.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2021; 60: e110-e116
- The effects of three different distraction methods on pain and anxiety in children.Journal of Child Health Care. 2016; 20: 277-285
- Managing pain in children: A clinical guide for nurses and healthcare professionals. Wiley-Blackwell, 2018
- Pain in children: Comparison of assessment scales.Pediatric Nursing. 1988; 14: 9-17