- •Children with RD and parents manage long-term injection-based treatment at home.
- •Nurses provide injection training at short-term admissions or outpatient clinics.
- •Nurses perceive their educational role as important, but lack pedagogical competence.
- •Reflection in clinical practice may promote nurses' professional development.
- •Pediatric specialist nurses appear to be well positioned to provide patient education.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Health literacy: Applying current concepts to improve health services and reduce health inequalities.Public Health. 2016; 132: 3-12
- Registered nurses’ perceptions of conditions for patient education--focusing on aspects of competence.Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences. 2014; 28: 523-536
- Psychological interventions for needle-related procedural pain and distress in children and adolescents.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2018; 10
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qualitative Research in Psychology. 2006; 3: 77-101
- ‘If I knew what was going to happen, it wouldn’t worry me so much’: Children’s, parents’ and health professionals’ perspectives on information for children undergoing a procedure.Journal of Child Health Care. 2019; 23: 626-638
- The information needs of children having clinical procedures in hospital: Will it hurt? Will I feel scared? What can I do to stay calm?.Child: Care, Health and Development. 2019; 45: 737-743
- A qualitative study of health professionals’ views on the holding of children for clinical procedures: Constructing a balanced approach.Journal of Child Health Care. 2019; 23: 160-171
- Pediatric rheumatology collaborative study group—Over four decades of pivotal clinical drug research in pediatric rheumatology.Pediatric Rheumatology Online Journal. 2018; 16: 45
- Implementation effectiveness of a parent-directed YouTube video (“it doesn’t have to hurt”) on evidence-based strategies to manage needle pain: Descriptive survey study.JMIR Pediatrics and Parenting. 2020; 3e13552
- The future in the past: Hildegard Peplau and interpersonal relations in nursing.Nursing Inquiry. 2014; 21: 311-317
- Qualitative methods for health research.4th ed. Sage Publications Inc., 2018
- Peplau’s theory of interpersonal relations: An alternate factor structure for patient experience data?.Nursing Science Quarterly. 2017; 30: 160-167
- Children’s self-reports of fear and pain levels during needle procedures.Nursing Open. 2020; 7: 376-382
- The effectiveness of user-focused mobile health applications in paediatric chronic disease management: A systematic review.Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families. 2022; 63: e149-e156
- Nurses’ perspectives on supporting children during needle-related medical procedures.International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-Being. 2014; 9: 23063
- Patient support groups are an important component of your toolbox for patient education.Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families. 2019; 44: 137-138
- Focus groups: A practical guide for applied research.5th ed. Sage Publications, Inc, 2015
- Sample size in qualitative interview studies: Guided by information power.Qualitative Health Research. 2016; 26: 1753-1760
- The fear of needles: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2018; 00: 1-13
- Children’s voices—Differentiating a child perspective from a child’s perspective.Developmental Neurorehabilitation. 2015; 18: 162-168
- Standards for reporting qualitative research: A synthesis of recommendations.Academic Medicine. 2014; 89: 1245-1251
- Editorial: Reflections on being a new nurse: 10 insights after four weeks as a registered nurse.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2016; 25: 1483-1485
- Peplau’s theory of interpersonal relations.Nursing Science Quarterly. 1997; 10: 162-167
- Verona coding definitions of emotional sequences (VR-CoDES): Conceptual framework and future directions.Patient Education and Counseling. 2017; 100: 2303-2311
- Children’s active participation in decision-making processes during hospitalisation: An observational study.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2019; 28: 4525-4537
- Creating room for evidence-based practice: Leader behavior in hospital wards.Research in Nursing & Health. 2020; 43: 90-102
- “Keeping on track”—Hospital nurses’ struggles with maintaining workflow while seeking to integrate evidence-based practice into their daily work: A grounded theory study.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2018; 77: 179-188
- What are the components of effective chronic condition self-management education interventions for children with asthma, cystic fibrosis, and diabetes? A systematic review.Patient Education and Counseling. 2019; 102: 607-622
- Children’s views on postsurgical pain in recovery units in Norway: A qualitative study.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2019; 28: 2157-2170
- Children’s fear of needle injections: A qualitative study of training sessions for children with rheumatic diseases before home administration.Pediatric Rheumatology Online. 2020; 18: 13
- I don’t want to think about it: A qualitative study of children (6–18 years) with rheumatic diseases and parents’ experiences with regular needle injections at home.Pediatric Rheumatology. 2021; 19: 8
- “It goes against the grain”: A qualitative study of the experiences of parents’ administering distressing health-care procedures for their child at home.Health Expectations. 2017; 20: 920-928
- The iPeer2Peer program: A pilot randomized controlled trial in adolescents with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.Pediatric Rheumatology Online Journal. 2016; 14: 48
- Experienced nurses’ use of non-pharmacological approaches comprise more than relief from pain.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2014; 29: e19-e28
- Health care provider’s responses to children’s resistance to peripheral vein cannulation: A qualitative observational study.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2021; 30: 1325-1334
- Newly graduated registered nurses’ evaluation of their preparedness, confidence and attitudes towards clinical assessments.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2021; 30: 929-941
- Thematic analysis.in: Rogers C.W.W.S. The SAGE handbook of qualitative research in psychology. SAGE Publications LTD., 2017: 47-70
- Convention of the rights of the child.(Retrieved May 5, 2020.)
- Health education competence, self-management.Sykepleien Forskning. 2016; 11: e-59702
- Newly graduated Swedish nurses’ inadequacy in developing professional competence.Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 2020; 51: 65-74
- Declaration of Helsinki: Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects [Declaration].(Retrieved March 19, 2021.)https://bit.ly/2LefcexDate: 2013
- The role of organizational context in moderating the effect of research use on pain outcomes in hospitalized children: A cross sectional study.BMC Health Services Research. 2017; 17: 68