- •The scale is a valid and reliable measurement tool for evaluating the concept of pain in children aged 8–12.
- •Health care professionals, especially nurses, can evaluate children's pain concepts using this scale.
- •The scale can be used for targeted pain science education and the effectiveness of the education.
Background and purpose
Pain experiences in childhood are very likely to be reflected in adulthood. The early evaluation of the concept of pain in children may eventually lead to.
better patient outcomes in the future. Therefore, we aimed to culturally and developmentally adapt the Concept of Pain Inventory for Children (COPI) for Turkish children.
This descriptive, correlational study was conducted with 239 post-operative children aged 8–12 years between June and December 2021. The research adhered to COSMIN guidelines. The data were collected using a descriptive information form and the COPI. Factor analysis, Cronbach's alpha, and item–total score analysis were used for the data analysis.
The resulting unidimensional scale consists of 12 items in Turkish. The scale explained 65% of the total variance. The exploratory factor analysis showed that the factor loadings of items ranged from 0.64 to 0.91. The confirmatory factor analysis showed that the factor loadings of items ranged from 0.66 to 0.92. Goodness of fit indexes were found to be as follows: Normed Fit Index >0.90; Incremental Fit Index >0.90; Comparative Fit Index >0.90; and the Root Mean Square Error of Approximation <0.08. The total Cronbach's alpha coefficient of the scale was 0.78 (reliable).
The 12-item Turkish translation of the COPI was deemed valid and reliable in 8–12-year-old children in a post-operative setting.
Evaluation of children's pain concepts during childhood may contribute to the identification of conceptual gaps for pain science education.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Applied statistics and validity and reliability with examples from sports, health and education sciences.Detail publishing, Ankara2018
- The faces pain scale for the self-assessment of the severity of pain experienced by children: Development, initial validation, and preliminary investigation for ratio scale properties.Pain. 1990; 41: 139-150
- Impact of threat level, task ınstruction, and ındividual characteristics on cold pressor pain and fear among children and their parents.Pain Practice. 2016; 16: 657-668
- Risk factors for low back pain in childhood and adolescence.The Clinical Journal of Pain. 2018; 34: 468-484
- Intercultural scale adaptation stages, language and culture adaptation: Updated guideline.Florence Nightingale Journal of Nursing. 2018; 26: 199-210
- How good is the neurophysiology of pain questionnaire? A rasch analysis of psychometric properties.The Journal of Pain. 2013; 14: 818-827
- COSMIN risk of bias checklist.https://cdn-links.lww.com/permalink/cjp/a/cjp_2021_10_01_pate_cjp-d-21-00083_sdc2.pdfDate: 2021, May 1
- Scale development, theory and applications.4th ed. SAGE Publication Inc., India2016
- Data collection methods and tools & reliability and validity of data collection tools.in: Erdoğan S. Nahcivan N. Esin M.N. Research process, practice and critical in nursing. 3rd ed. Nobel Medical Bookstores, Istanbul2018: 193-233
- Assessment of pain anxiety, pain catastrophizing, and fear of pain in children and adolescents with chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2018; 43: 314-325
- Best-evidence for the rehabilitation of chronic pain part 1: Pediatric pain.Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2019; 8: 1267
- Reports of chronic pain in childhood and adolescence among patients at a tertiary care pain clinic.The Journal of Pain. 2013; 14: 1390-1397
- Basic statistics for health surveys.1st ed. Art Ofset Publication, Ankara2011
- Expose or protect? A randomized controlled trial of exposure in vivo vs pain-contingent treatment as usual in patients with complex regional pain syndrome type 1.Pain. 2016; 157: 2318-2329
- Educational research: Quantitative, qualitative, and mixed approaches.3nd ed. SAGE Publication, Inc, California2014
- SPSS and AMOS 23 applied statistical analysis.2nd ed. Nobel Publication, Ankara2019
- Reliability and validity analysis with SPSS and AMOS applied examples.Akademisyen Publishing, Ankara2018
- A handbook of test construction (psychology revivals): Introduction to psychometric design.Routledge, London2015
- Talking to children and families about chronic pain: The ımportance of pain education—An introduction for pediatricians and other health care providers.Children. 2020; 7: 179
- Confirmatory factor analysis (CFA), exploratory structural equation modeling (ESEM), and set-ESEM: Optimal balance between goodness of fit and parsimony.Multivariate Behavioral Research. 2019; 55: 102-119
- The FLACC: A behavioral scale for scoring postoperative pain in young children.Pediatric Nursing. 1997; 23: 293-297
- Inter-rater agreement and reliability of the COSMIN (COnsensus-based standards for the selection of health status measurement Instruments) checklist.BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2010; 10: 1-11
- Fifteen years of explaining pain: The past, present, and future.The Journal of Pain. 2015; 16: 807-813
- Beyond nociception.Pain. 2015; 156: 35-38
- The incidence of adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and their association with pain-related and psychosocial impairment in youth with chronic pain.The Clinical Journal of Pain. 2018; 34: 402-408
- Psychometric theory.McGraw-Hill, New York2010
- Scale and t test development structural equation modeling.Nisan Publishing, Ankara2016
- Applications in pediatric surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic.Journal of Anatolia Nursing and Health Sciences. 2020; 23: 343-349
- Longitudinal course and ımpact of insomnia symptoms in adolescents with and without chronic pain.The Journal of Pain. 2012; 13: 1099-1106
- Exploring the concept of pain of Australian children with and without pain: Qualitative study.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e033199
- A child’s concept of pain: An international survey of pediatric pain experts.Children. 2018; 5: 12
- The concept of pain inventory (COPI): Assessing a child’s concept of pain.The Clinical Journal of Pain. 2020; 36: 940-949
- Essentials of nursing research: Appraising evidence for nursing practice.7th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2018
- Is the CVI an acceptable indicator of content validity? Appraisal and recommendations.Research in Nursing & Health. 2007; 30: 459-467
- Essential elements of questionnaire design and development.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2007; 16: 234-243
- COVID -19 emergency management structure and protocols.AORN Journal. 2020; 112: 197-203
- Putting pain in its proper place.Analysis. 2019; 79: 72-82
- Pain neuroscience education: State of the art and application in pediatrics.Children. 2016; 3: 43
- Evaluating the fit of structural equation models: Tests of significance and descriptive goodness-of-fit measures.Methods of Psychological Research. 2003; 8 (Online): 23-74.7
- Psychological test development and adaptation process: SPSS and LISREL applications.2nd ed. Anı Publishing, Ankara2018
- Using multivariate statistics.2nd ed. Pearson Publication, Boston2013
- The toddler-preschooler postoperative pain scale: An observational scale measuring postoperative pain in children aged 1–5. Preliminary report.Pain. 1992; 50: 273-280
- Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires.Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2007; 60: 34-42
- Reframing the classical approach to conceptual change: Preconceptions, misconceptions and synthetic models.in: Second International Handbook of Science Education. Springer, 2012: 119-130
- Clinical biopsychosocial physiotherapy assessment of patients with chronic pain: The first step in pain neuroscience education.Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. 2016; 32: 368-384
- Principles of good practice for the translation and cultural adaptation process for patient-reported outcomes (PRO) measures: Report of the ISPOR task force for translation and cultural adaptation.Value in Health. 2005; 8: 94-104
- Design and implementation content validity study: Development of an instrument for measuring patient-centered communication.Journal of Caring Sciences. 2015; 4: 165-178
- Minimally invasive surgery and the novel coronavirus outbreak: Lessons learned in China and Italy.Annals of Surgery. 2020; 272: e5-e6
- Management for patients with pediatric surgical disease during the COVID-19 epidemic.Pediatric Surgery International. 2020; 36: 751-752
Published online: June 14, 2022
Accepted: May 25, 2022
Received in revised form: May 23, 2022
Received: March 31, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.