- •Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV) impacts quality of life.
- •Reviews pediatric-specific recommendations for monitoring and pharmacotherapy for CINV.
- •Shares antiemetic algorithm and experience from our institution.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- CINV: Still troubling patients after all these years.Supportive Care in Cancer. 2018; 26: 5-9
- High-dose dexamethasone for prevention of cis-platin-induced vomiting.Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology. 1981; 7: 11-14
- Should oncologists recommend Cannabis?.Current Treatment Options in Oncology. 2019; 20: 59
- The pathophysiology of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.Gastroenterology Nursing. 2005; 28: 469-480
- Management of patients with chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology. 2017; 8: 303-308
- Development and validation of a pictorial nausea rating scale for children.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e1542-e1549
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: Pathophysiology and therapeutic principles.Clinical and Translational Oncology. 2012; 14: 413-422
- Clinical pharmacogenetics implementation consortium (CPIC) guideline for CYP2D6 genotype and use of ondansetron and tropisetron.Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2017; 102: 213-218
- Cancer and chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: A focus on olanzapine.Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care. 2016; 10: 180-188
- Efficacy, safety and feasibility of antiemetic prophylaxis with fosaprepitant, granisetron and dexamethasone in pediatric patients with hemato-oncological malignancies.Drug Design, Development and Therapy. 2019; 13: 3439-3451
- Antiemetic prophylaxis with fosaprepitant and granisetron in pediatric patients undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology. 2020; 146: 1089-1100
- Palonosetron is a better choice compared with ondansetron for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV) in a resource-limited pediatric oncology center: Results from a randomized control trial.Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 2019; 41: 294-297
- The development of a prediction tool to identify cancer patients at high risk for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.Annals of Oncology. 2017; 28: 1260-1267
- Guideline for prevention of acute nausea and vomiting due to antineoplastic medication in pediatric cancer patients.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2013; 60: 1073-1082
- Validation of the symptom screening in pediatrics tool in children receiving cancer treatments.Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2018; 110: 661-668
- Development and validation of the pediatric nausea assessment tool for use in children receiving antineoplastic agents.Pharmotherapy. 2006; 26: 1221-1231
- Risk factors for chemotherapy-induced nausea in pediatric patients receiving highly emetogenic chemotherapy.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2019; 66e27584
- Behavioral interventions in treating anticipatory nausea and vomiting.Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network: JNCCN. 2007; 5: 44-50
- Olanzapine for prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in children and adolescents: A multi-center, feasibility study.Supportive Care in Cancer. 2018; 26: 549-555
- 5-HT3 receptor antagonists for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: A comparison of their pharmacology and clinical efficacy.Drugs. 1998; 55: 173-189
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: Pathogenesis, recommendations, and new trends.Cancer Treatment and Research Communications. 2021; 26100278
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: Challenges and opportunities for improved patient outcomes.Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2009; 13: 54-64
- The Time to Talk CINV toolkit from.https://www.hoparx.org/patient-education/chemotherapy-induced-nausea-and-vomiting-cinv-time-to-talkDate: 2015
- Antiemetics: American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline update.Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020; 38: 2782-2797
- Pharmacology, pharmacogenetics, and clinical efficacy of 5-hydroxytryptamine type 3 receptor antagonists for postoperative nausea and vomiting.Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 2006; 19: 606-611
ISMP 2020-2021 targeted medication safety best practices for hospitals. (2021). Retrieved May 24, 2022, from https://www.ismp.org/sites/default/files/attachments/2020-02/20202021%20TMSBP-%20FINAL_1.pdf
- Pharmacogenetic and clinical predictors of ondansetron failure in a diverse pediatric oncology population.Supportive Care in Cancer. 2022; 30: 3513-3520
- Aprepitant for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in children: A randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.The Lancet. Oncology. 2015; 16: 385-394
- Ondansetron. In Lexi-comp.
- Granisetron. In Lexi-comp.
- Palonosetron. In Lexi-comp.
- Fosaprepitant. In Lexi-comp.
- Olanzapine. In Lexi-comp.
- Dexamethasone. In Lexi-comp.
- Dronabinol. In Lexi-comp.
- Promethazine. In Lexi-comp.
- Lorazepam. In Lexi-comp.
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.The Cancer Journal. 2008; 14: 85-93
- Integration of a nausea and vomiting assessment tool into antineoplastic management of pediatric oncology patients.Journal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice. 2020; 26: 1353-1360
- Integrative therapeutic approaches for the management and control of nausea in children undergoing cancer treatment: A systematic review of literature.Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing. 2017; 34: 173-184
- Pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, safety, and tolerability of fosaprepitant for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in pediatric cancer patients.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2019; 66e27690
- Olanzapine for prevention of vomiting in children and adolescents receiving highly emetogenic chemotherapy: Investigator-initiated, randomized, open-label trial.Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2020; 38: 3785-3793
- Clinical practice guidelines in oncology.in: Antiemesis. NCCN guidelines V2. 2022: 2022
- Management of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in pediatric patients.Pediatric Drugs. 2017; 19: 213-222
- Antiemetic prophylaxis for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.New England Journal of Medicine. 2016; 374: 1356-1367
- Aprepitant and fosaprepitant drug interactions: A systematic review.British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2017; 83: 2148-2162
- Guideline for the prevention of acute chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in pediatric cancer patients: A focused update.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2017; 64
- Classification of the acute emetogenicity of chemotherapy in pediatric patients: A clinical practice guideline.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2019; 66e27646
- Intravenous fosaprepitant for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced vomiting in children: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III randomized trial.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2019; 66e27551
- 2016 MASCC and ESMO guideline update for the prevention of chemotherapy- and radiotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting and of nausea and vomiting in advanced cancer patients.Annals of Oncology. 2016; 27: v119-v133
- Dronabinol prescribing and exposure among children and young adults diagnosed with cancer.Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology. 2021; 10: 175-184
- Evaluation of aprepitant and fosaprepitant in pediatric patients.Pediatrics International. 2019; 61: 235-239
- A history of drug discovery for treatment of nausea and vomiting and the implications for future research.Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2018; 9: 913
- Latest update on prevention of acute chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in pediatric cancer patients.Current Oncology Reports. 2019; 21: 89
- Impact of chemotherapy- induced nausea and vomiting on health-related quality of life and resource utilization: A systematic review.Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology. 2016; 99: 13-36
- Palonosetron is nonsuperior to ondansetron in acute phase but provides superior antiemetic control in delayed phase for pediatric patients administered highly emetogenic chemotherapy.Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2018; 65
- Comparative safety and effectiveness of serotonin receptor antagonists in patients undergoing chemotherapy: A systematic review and network meta-analysis.BMC Medicine. 2016; 14: 216
- Optimum management of nausea and vomiting in cancer chemotherapy.Practical Therapeutics. 1987; 24: 136-149
- Clinical use of the pictorial Baxter retching faces scale for measurement of postoperative nausea in children.Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2019; 128: 1249-1255
- Efficacy, safety and feasibility of fosaprepitant for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in pediatric patients receiving moderately and highly emetogenic chemotherapy - results of a non-interventional observation study.BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 1118