- •Nurses' preoperative guidance, either only verbally or verbally with a playful comic book, proved beneficial in reducing parental anxiety.
- •Education information, performed on the day of surgery, failed to reduce self-reported preoperative anxiety in children and adolescents upon admission to the operating room.
- •Using educational materials to minimize children's anxiety remains controversial, and requires conducting multicenter studies in high, middle and low-income countries.
Application to practice
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- The hospitalized child and ludicity.Revista Mineira de Enfermagem. 2019; 23 (e-1193)
- International journal of surgery open prevalence and factors associated with preoperative parental anxiety among parents of children undergoing anesthesia and surgery. A cross-sectional study.International Journal of Surgery Open, March. 2020; : 1-8
- ‘If I knew what was going to happen, it wouldn’t worry me so much’: Children’s, parents’ and health professionals’ perspectives on information for children undergoing a procedure.Journal of Child Health Care. 2019; 23: 626-638
- Preoperative concerns of patients undergoing general surgery.Patient Education and Counseling. 2021; 104: 1467-1473
- Perioperative anxiety and postoperative pain in children and adolescents undergoing elective surgical procedures: A quantitative systematic review.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2014; 70: 243-255
- Systematic review: Audiovisual interventions for reducing preoperative anxiety in children undergoing elective surgery.Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2016; 41: 182-203
- Impact of preanesthetic information on anxiety of parents and children.Brazilian Journal of Anesthesiology (Elsevier). 2013; 63: 473-482
- A mixed-method systematic review of the effectiveness and acceptability of preoperative psychological preparation programmes to reduce paediatric preoperative anxiety in elective surgery.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2018; 74: 2022-2037
- Psychometric proprieties analysis of Brazilian version instrument Children's Anxiety Questionnaire on children on the pre-operatory state.([dissertation, Botucatu: São Paulo State University- Unesp.])http://hdl.handle.net/11449/217742Date: 2021
- Video game distraction and anesthesia mask practice reduces children’s preoperative anxiety: A randomized clinical trial.Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 2020 Jan; 25 (Epub 2019 Oct 1. PMID: 31576651)e12272
- The concept of child-centered care in healthcare: A scoping review protocol.JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports. 2018; 16: 845-851
- Children’s anxiety and factors related to the COVID-19 pandemic: An exploratory study using the children’s anxiety questionnaire and the numerical rating scale.International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020; 17: 5757
- Additional references.Communications of the ACM. 1967; 10: 342
- Estudo da Ansiedade Pré-operatória de Yale Modificada: Tradução, Estudo da Confiabilidade e Utilização em Crianças de 02 a 07 Anos. (Modified Yale Preoperative Anxiety Study: Translation, Reliability Study and Use in Children 2-7 Years Old ). Fundação Arnaldo Vieira de Carvalho. Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Santa Casa de São Paulo. Curso de Pós-Graduação. Stricto Sensu. Resumos - Teses Defendidas (2006) - Parte 2. Arq Med Hosp Fac Cienc Med Santa Casa São Paulo.52(2). 2007: 59
- The assessment of anxiety states by rating.Br J Med Psychol. 1959; 32: 50-55https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8341.1959.tb00467.x
- Effect of an educational comic story about preoperative orientation on information and anxiety level of children undergoing surgery.Clinical Nursing Research. 2021; 30: 771-779
- Effects of educational video on pre-operative anxiety in children - A randomized controlled trial.Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2021; 9: 1-10
- Fundamentos de enfermagem pediátrica.9th ed. Elsevier, 2014 (3092 p)
- The Yale preoperative anxiety scale: How does it compare with a “gold standard”?.Anesthesia and Analgesia. 1997; 85: 783-788
- A systematic review of technology-based preoperative preparation interventions for child and parent anxiety.Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 2019; 66: 966-986
- The visual analog scale allows effective measurement of preoperative anxiety and detection of patients’ anesthetic concerns.Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2000; 90: 706-712
- Effectiveness of an app for reducing preoperative anxiety in children: A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Pediatrics. 2016; 170: 1-6
- The CONSORT statement: Revised recommendations for improving the quality of reports of parallel-group randomized trials.Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. 2001; 91: 437-442
- Assessing children’s anxiety using the modified short state-trait anxiety inventory (STAI) and talking Mats – A pilot study.Nursing Research and Practice. 2012; 2012932570
- Children’s perceptions of pictures intended to measure anxiety during hospitalization.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2019; 44: 63-73
- Levels of anxiety in parents in the 24 hr before and after their child’s surgery: A descriptive study.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2018; 27: 278-287
- Transcultural adaptation of the children’s anxiety questionnaire in Brazil.Nursing Open. 2021; 8: 1652-1659
- Interventions for parental anxiety in preparation for pediatric surgery: A narrative review. In.Children. 2021; 8 (MDPI)
- Validation of educational material for the care of people with intestinal stoma.Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem. 2020; 28e3269
- Parental and child anxiety Perioperatively: Relationship, repercussions, and recommendations.Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 2021; 36 (W.B. Saunders): 305-309
- Effect of giving brochures to ventriculoperitoneal shunted children’s mothers about preventing shunt infections.Cocuk Enfeksiyon Dergisi. 2020; 14: e97-e105
- Construction and validation of a Brazilian educational comic book for pediatric perioperative care.Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 2021; 26: e12320