Over 150 years ago Luigi DeCrecchio first described what we now know as congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). It took another 100 years for Dr. Lawson Wilkins and colleagues to develop effective cortisone treatment. CAH has been treated in much the same way since, but the advent of new pharmacotherapies seeks to revitalize the treatment of this complex disorder (
Mallappa and Merke, 2022).
- Mallappa A.
- Merke D.P.
Management challenges and therapeutic advances in congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
Nature Reviews. Endocrinology. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41574-022-00655-w
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- BridgeBio pharma announces dosing of first patient in Phase 1/ 2 trial of investigational gene therapy for congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). Globenewswire. Retrieved April 18, 2022, from.https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/01/27/2374237/0/en/BridgeBio-Pharma-Announces-Dosing-of-First-Patient-in-Phase-1-2-Trial-of-Investigational-Gene-Therapy-for-Congenital-Adrenal-Hyperplasia-CAH.html#:~:text=(Nasdaq%3A%20BBIO)%20(%E2%80%9C,5%20gene%20therapy%20for%20theDate: 2022, January 27
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia-current insights in pathophysiology, diagnostics, and management.Endocrine Reviews. 2022; 43: 91-159
- February 28.CAH clinical trials, Search Results2022 (Retrieved February 28, 2022, from)https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=Congenital+Adrenal+Hyperplasia&cntry=US&Search=Apply&recrs=a&recrs=d&age_v=&gndr=&type=&rslt
- Conformity of the first industrial transposition batch of Zeneo hydrocortisone.(Retrieved April 17, 2022, from)https://www.crossject.com/en/finances/conformity-first-industrial-transposition-batch-zeneor-hydrocortisoneDate: 2022, March 21
- Hydrocortisone rescue pen fast tracked for adrenal insufficiency.(MPR: Medical Professionals Reference. Retrieved on April 18, 2022, from)https://www.empr.com/home/customerservice/mpr-publications/Date: 2022, January 18
- Towards the tailoring of glucocorticoid replacement in adrenal insufficiency: The Italian society of endocrinology expert opinion.Journal of Endocrinological Investigation. 2020; 43: 683-696https://doi.org/10.1007/s40618-019-01146-y
- Management challenges and therapeutic advances in congenital adrenal hyperplasia.Nature Reviews. Endocrinology. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41574-022-00655-w
- Long-term use of continuous subcutaneous hydrocortisone infusion therapy in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia.Clinical Endocrinology. 2018; 89: 399-407https://doi.org/10.1111/cen.13813
- Current and novel treatment strategies in children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia.Hormone Research in Pædiatrics. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1159/000522260
Published online: August 13, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.