- •IRB requirements for Principal Investigator (PI) status vary substantially.
- •This variability creates barriers to pediatric nurse scientists serving as PIs.
- •New knowledge in pediatric nursing is critical to achieving health equity.
- •Recognition of pediatric nurse scientists as PIs for research studies is needed.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- AACN's Vision for Academic Nursing.(Retrieved from)https://www.aacnnursing.org/News-Information/Position-Statements-White-Papers/Vision-for-Nursing-EducationDate: 2019
- Program Tools. 2023 Magnet Application Manual.(Retrieved from)Accessed February 2, 2022)
Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. Tip Sheets. Retrieved from https://www.aahrpp.org/apply/resources/tip-sheets. Accessed February 2, 2022.
Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs, Inc. n.d.; IRB, Institutional Review Board; PI, principal investigator. https://www.aahrpp.org/apply/resources/tip-sheets
- Fort Lauderdale, FL.https://about.citiprogram.orgDate: March 1, 2021
- Exploring the best practices of nursing research councils in magnet® organizations: Findings from a qualitative research study.The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2017; 47: 253-258
- Science, technology, and innovation: Nursing responsibilities in clinical research.The Nursing Clinics of North America. 2009; 44: 471-481
- A survey of IRB process in 68 U.S. hospitals.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2004; 36: 260-264
- Nurse research and the institutional review board: Learn how the IRB process works to ensure participant safety and quality research.American Nurse Today. 2019; 14: 20-25
- Describing the implementation of an innovative intervention and evaluating its effectiveness in increasing research capacity of advanced clinical nurses: Using the consolidated framework for implementation research.BMC Nursing. 2017; 16: 21
- National survey of hospital nursing research, part 1: Research requirements and outcomes.The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2013; 43: 10-17
- The future of nursing 2020-2030: Charting a path to achieve health equity.The National Academies Press., 2021https://doi.org/10.17226/25982
- Methodology: U.S. News & World Report best hospitals 2021–22: Specialty rankings. RTI International.
- Methodology: U.S. News & World Report best children's hospitals 2021-22. RTI International.
- National study of nursing research characteristics at Magnet®-designated hospitals.JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2018; 48: 247-258
- Guidance for industry. Investigator responsibilities — protecting the rights, safety, and welfare of study subjects.(Retrieved from)https://www.fda.gov/media/77765/downloadDate: 2009