- •A patient education manual for adolescents with chronic kidney disease was developed.
- •The manual improved self-management and health care transition readiness over time.
- •The manual showed additional benefits in improving self-advocacy and mindfulness.
- •Adding a mindfulness training did not bring additional benefits to the manual.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Mindfulness-based interventions among adolescents with chronic diseases in clinical settings: A systematic review.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2018; 32: 455-472
- AAKP's pediatric kidney pals.
- Transition from child-centered to adult health-care systems for adolescents with chronic conditions: A position paper of the Society for Adolescent Medicine.Journal of Adolescent Health. 1993; 14: 570-576
- Changes in the US burden of chronic kidney disease from 2002 to 2016: An analysis of the global burden of disease study.JAMA Network Open. 2018; 1: e184412
- Mindfulness-based exposure strategies as a transdiagnostic mechanism of change: An exploratory alternating treatment design.Behavior Therapy. 2016; 47: 225-238
- The patient self-advocacy scale: Measuring patient involvement in health care decision-making interactions.Health Communication. 1999; 11: 97-121
- ALLYOUNEEDISLOVE manual on health self-management and patient-reported outcomes among low-income young adult Mexicans on chronic dialysis: Feasibility study.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2021; 62: 129-135
- Experimental control and threats to internal validity of concurrent and nonconcurrent multiple baseline designs.Psychology in the Schools. 2007; 44: 451-459
- Mindfulness interventions.Annual Review of Psychology. 2017; 68: 491-516
- When your child has chronic kidney disease.
- Evaluation of kidney disease education on clinical outcomes and knowledge of self-management behaviors of patients with chronic kidney disease.Nephrology Nursing Journal. 2015; 42: 363-373
- Adolescents’ and young adults’ transition experiences when transferring from pediatric to adult care: A qualitative metasynthesis.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2014; 51: 123-135
- Self-management and transition readiness assessment: Development, reliability, and factor structure of the STARx questionnaire.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2015; 30: 691-699
- Self-management and transition among adolescents/young adults with chronic or end-stage kidney disease.Blood Purification. 2015; 39: 99-104
- Self-management and health care transition among adolescents and young adults with chronic kidney disease: Medical and psychosocial considerations.Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease. 2017; 24: 405-409
- Pediatric chronic kidney disease and the process of health care transition.Seminars in Nephrology. 2009; 29: 435-444
- Long-term outcome of early steroid withdrawal in pediatric renal transplantation.Pediatric Transplantation. 2021; 25e14096
- Assessing mindfulness in children and adolescents: Development and validation of the child and adolescent mindfulness measure (CAMM).Psychological Assessment. 2011; 23: 606-614
- Small samples in multilevel modeling.in: van de Schoot R. Miočević M. Small sample size solutions: A guide for applied researchers and practitioners. Routledge, 2020: 215-225
- Preparing adolescents with chronic disease for transition to adult care: A technology program.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: e1639-e1646
- Transition intervention for adolescents with congenital heart disease.Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2018; 71: 1768-1777
- Your kidneys and youth: Activities and videos.
- A parental report of youth transition readiness: The parent STARx questionnaire (STARx-P) and re-evaluation of the STARx child report.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2018; 38: 122-126
- Examining the transition from child to adult care in chronic kidney disease: An open exploratory approach.Nephrology Nursing Journal. 2018; 45: 553-560
- Does a multimethod approach improve identification of medication nonadherence in adolescents with chronic kidney disease?.Pediatric Nephrology. 2019; 34: 97-105
- Hierarchical linear models: Applications and data analysis methods.Sage, 2002
- Transition of young people with chronic conditions: A cross-sectional study of patient perceptions before and after transfer from pediatric to adult health care.European Journal of Pediatrics. 2014; 173: 1067-1074
- Differential effect of a patient-education transition intervention in adolescents with IBD vs. diabetes.European Journal of Pediatrics. 2018; 177: 497-505
- State of the research: Physical and mental health benefits of mindfulness-based interventions for children and adolescents.OBM Integrative and Complementary Medicine. 2019; 4: 31
- Applied longitudinal data analysis: Modeling change and event occurrence.Oxford University Press, 2003
- Educational programs improve the preparation for dialysis and survival of patients with chronic kidney disease.Kidney International. 2014; 85: 686-692
- Chapter 6: CKD among children and adolescents.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2018
- Burden of CKD in the north American pediatric population: Point prevalence of children and adolescents with reported ESRD per million.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020