- •Infants with life-limiting conditions comprise of the highest number of deaths in childhood.
- •Many of these infants receive intensive care support until they die.
- •Without integration of palliative care, infants may not be afforded the benefits of palliative care practices.
- •Early integration of palliative may enhance the care provided to infants with life-limiting conditions and their families.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- Directed qualitative content analysis: The description and elaboration of its underpinning methods and data analysis process.Journal of Research in Nursing. 2018; 23: 42-55
- Treatment limitation and advance planning: Hospital-wide audit of paediatric death.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2020; 56: 893-899
- National Consensus Statement: Essential elements for safe and high-quality paediatric end-of-life care.ACSQHC, Sydney2016https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/sites/default/files/migrated/National-Consensus-Statement-Essential-Elements-forsafe-high-quality-end-of-life-care.pdf
- Australia's Children - in brief.https://doi.org/10.25816/5e152818d082cDate: 2019
- AIHW National Hospital Morbidity Database.https://www.aihw.gov.au/Date: 2019
- National Hospital Morbidity Database.
- The REporting of studies conducted using observational Routinley-collected health data (RECORD) statement.PLoS Medicine. 2015; 12
- Development of a perinatal palliative care model at a level II perinatal center supported by a pediatric palliative care network.Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2020; 8574397
- Escalation-related decision making in acute deterioration: A retrospective case note review.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e022021
- Creation of a neonatal end-of-life palliative care protocol.Journal of Perinatology. 2002; 22: 184-195
- Quality indicators for paediatric palliative care.Paediatrics & Child Health. 2015; 20: 145-147
- Risk of preterm birth.https://www.health.gov.au/resources/pregnancy-care-guidelines/part-d-clinical-assessments/risk-of-preterm-birthDate: 2019
- Parent perspectives of neonatal intensive care at the end-of-Life.Journal of Paediatric Nursing. 2016; 31: 478-489
- Perinatal Palliative Care Model of Care. Western Australia.https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/~/media/Files/Corporate/general%20documents/Health%20Networks/WA%20Cancer%20and%20Palliative%20Care/Palliative%20care/Perinatal-Palliative-Care-Model-of-Care.pdfDate: 2015
- Enhancing paediatric palliative care: A rapid review to inform continued development of care for children with life-limiting conditions.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2021; 58: 232-237
- Modes of death in pediatrics: Differences in the ethical approach in neonatal and pediatric patients.Journal of Pediatrics. 2013; 162: 1107-1111
- Changing place of death in children who died after discharge from paediatric intensive care units: A national, data linkage study.Palliative Medicine. 2018; 32: 337-346
- Patterns of diagnoses among children and young adults with life-limiting conditions: A secondary analysis of a national dataset.Palliative Medicine. 2014; 28: 513-520
- Limits of therapeutic intervention in a tertiary neonatal intensive care unit in patients with major congenital anomalies in Brazil.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2021; 57: 1966-1970
- Adequacy of palliative care in a single tertiary neonatal unit.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2017; 53: 136-144
- King Edward Memorial Hospital history and alumni.
- Differences in advance care planning and circumstances of death for pediatric patients who do and do not receive palliative care consults: A single-center retrospective review of all pediatric deaths from 2012 to 2016.Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2019; 22: 1506-1514
- The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software platform partners.Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2019; 95: 103208
- Advance care planning: Practicalitie, legalities, complexities and controversies.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2015; 100: 380-385
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qualitative Health Research. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- A qualitative study of health care professionals’ views and experiences of paediatric advance care planning.BMC Palliative Care. 2018; 17: 93
- Lasting legacy: Maternal perspectives of perinatal palliative care.Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2019; 22: 310-315
- Recommendations for palliative and bereavement care in the NICU: A family-centered integrative approach.Journal of Perinatology. 2015; 35: S19-S23
- Antenatal palliative care consultation: Implications for decision-making and perinatal outcomes in a single-Centre experience.Archives of Disease in Childhood. Fetal and Neonatal Edition. 2017; 102: F12-F16
- Primary palliative care in neonatal intensive care.Seminars in Perinatology. 2017; 41: 133-139
- Advance care planning in palliative care: A qualitative investigation into the perspective of paediatric intensive care unit staff.Palliative Medicine. 2015; 29: 371-379
- Specialist paediatric palliative care services: What are the benefits?.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2017; 102: 923-929
- Use of formal advance care planning documents: A national survey of UK Paediatric intensive care units.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2014; 99: 327-330
- Parental experiences of end of life care decision-making for children with life-limiting conditions in the paediatric intensive care unit: A qualitative interview study.BMJ Open. 2019; 9: e028548
- Neonatal end-of-life care: A review of the research literature.The Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing. 2006; 20: 262-273
- Linked birth and infant death data.
- End of life care for infants, children and young people, with life limiting conditions: Planning and management.https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng61/resources/end-of-life-care-for-infants-children-and-young-people-with-lifelimiting-conditions-planning-and-management-pdf-1837568722885Date: 2016
- Standards for reporting qualitative research: A synthesis of recommendations.Academic Medicine. 2014; 89: 1245-1251
- Child and infant mortality in England and Wales: 2019.https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/childhoodinfantandperinatalmortalityinenglandandwales/2019Date: 2019
- Paediatric Addendum - Palliative Care Service Development Guidelines.(Retrieved from Canberra:)https://palliativecare.org.au/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/12/PalliativeCare-Paediatricaddendum-2018_web.pdfDate: 2018
- Evidence for implementation strategies to provide palliative care in the neonatal intensive care unit.Advances in Neonatal Care. 2016; 16: 430-438
- Comparison of end-of-life care practices between children with complex chronic conditions and neonates dying in an ICU versus non-ICUs: A substudy of the pediatric end-of-life CAre needs in Switzerland (PELICAN) project*.Paediatric Critical Care Medicine Journal. 2020; 20
- Parallel planning and the paediatric critical care patient.Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2019; 104: 994-997
- Discussing withdrawing and withholding of life-sustaining medical treatment in a tertiary paediatric hospital: A survey of clinician attitudes and practices.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2008; 44: 392-398
- Associations between pediatric palliative care consultation and end-of-life preparation at an academic medical center: A retrospective EHR analysis.Hospital Pediatrics. 2018; 8: 162-167
- Addressing parental bereavement support needs at the end of life for infants with complex chronic conditions.Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2012; 15: 579-584
- A Perinatal Pathway for Babies with Palliative Care Needs.2nd ed. 2017
- Process mapping the patient journey: An introduction.BMJ. 2010; 341c4078
- Western Australian Paediatric Strategy for End-of-life and Palliative Care 2021–2028.(Retrieved from Perth:)https://ww2.health.wa.gov.auDate: 2021
- WHO Definition of Palliative Care.(Retrieved from:)
- Preterm birth.