- •Health literacy is related to risk perception and self-efficacy for substance use.
- •Health literacy is related to risk perception for some obesity-related behaviors.
- •Health literacy affects the relationship between self-efficacy and substance use.
- •Health literacy affects the relationship between self-efficacy and diet.
Design and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
- A psychometric study of adolescent risk perception.Journal of Adolescence. 1993; 16: 153-168
- 2010 National youth physical activity and nutrition survey.CDC, 2010
- Youth risk behavior surveillance system (YRBSS).(Retrieved September 20, 2022, from)(n.d.)
- Early alcohol use with parental permission: Psychosocial characteristics and drinking in late adolescence.Addictive Behaviors. 2018; 76: 82-87
- Importance of self-efficacy in eating behavior and physical activity change of overweight and non-overweight adolescent girls participating in healthy me: A lifestyle intervention with mobile technology.Nutrients. 2020; 12: 2128
- Risk perceptions and health behavior.Current Opinion in Psychology. 2015; 5: 85-89
- Development and validation of assessments of adolescent health literacy: A Rasch measurement model approach.BMC Public Health. 2022; 22: 585
- Adolescents’ health literacy and decision-making: A qualitative study.American Journal of Health Behavior. 2020; 44: 392-408
- Adolescent health literacy and health behaviors: A systematic review.Journal of Adolescence. 2018; 62: 116-127
- Health literacy and knowledge of chronic disease.Patient Education and Counseling. 2003; 51: 267-275
- Development of risk perception and substance use of tobacco, alcohol and cannabis among adolescents and emerging adults: evidence of directional influences.Substance Use & Misuse. 2015; 50: 376-386
- Alcohol use, binge drinking, and drunkenness experience in adolescence: Complex associations with family, peers, social context, and risk perceptions.Substance Use & Misuse. 2020; 55: 1834-1845
- Childhood antecedents to adult cardiovascular disease.Pediatrics in Review / American Academy of Pediatrics. 2012; 33: 51-61
- Adolescent brain response to reward is associated with a bias toward immediate reward.Developmental Neuropsychology. 2019; 44: 417-428
- Association of health risk perception and physical activity among adolescents.Revista de Psicología Del Deporte. 2017; 26: 45-50
- Effects of a health risk information strategy on risk perceptions of diseases related to physical inactivity in adolescents.The Asian Journal of Kinesiology. 2018; 20: 51-60https://doi.org/10.15758/ajk.2018.20.2.51
- Impact of age at onset of cannabis use on cannabis dependence and driving under the influence in the United States.Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2015; 76: 1-5
- Risk and protective factors and estimates of substance use initiation: Results from the 2016 National survey on drug use and health.in: CBHSQ data review. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US), 2017
- A breath of knowledge: overview of current adolescent E-cigarette prevention and cessation programs.Current Addiction Reports. 2020; 7: 520-532
- Association between diet during preadolescence and adolescence and risk for breast cancer during adulthood.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2013; 52: S30-S35
- Adverse outcomes associated with media exposure to contradictory nutrition messages.Journal of Health Communication. 2014; 19: 24-40
- Family life, activity, sun, health, and eating (FLASHE) study methodology report.National Cancer Institute, Behavioral Research Program, Health Communication and Informatics Research Branch, 2016
- Dietary screener questionnaire in the NHANES 2009–2010.2015
- The evolving concept of health literacy.Social Science & Medicine. 2008; 67: 2072-2078
- Validity and calibration of the youth activity profile.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0143949
Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine. (n.d.). Substance Use Resources For Adolescents and Young Adults. https://www.adolescenthealth.org/Resources/Clinical-Care-Resources/Substance-Use/Substance-Use-Resources-For-Adolesc.aspx.
- Health literacy and public health: A systematic review and integration of definitions and models.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 1-13
- 27. IBM SPSS statistics for windows, version 27.0.IBM Corp, Armonk2020
- Cognitive and affective development in adolescence.Trends in Cognitive Sciences. 2005; 9: 69-74
- Socioeconomic differences in overweight and weight-related behaviors across adolescence and young adulthood: 10-year longitudinal findings from Project EAT.Preventive Medicine. 2016; 87: 194-199
- Internalization of biopsychosocial values by medical students: A test of self-determination theory.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1996; 70: 767-779
- Inadequate literacy is a barrier to asthma knowledge and self-care.Chest Journal. 1998; 114: 1008-1015
- Developmental patterns in decision-making autonomy across middle childhood and adolescence: European American parents’ perspectives.Child Development. 2010; 81: 636-651
- Social media and e-cigarette use among US youth: Longitudinal evidence on the role of online advertisement exposure and risk perception.Addictive Behaviors. 2021; 119106916
- Self-efficacy: A concept analysis.Nursing Forum. 2009; 44: 93-102