This study was carried out as an experimental research to determine the effect of the light toy on reducing pain and fear during blood collection in children.
The data were obtained 116 children. The “Interview and Observation Form Children's Fear Scale, Wong-Baker Faces, Luminous Toy and Stopwatch” was used for data collection. The data were evaluated using percentage, mean, standard deviation, chi-square, t-test, correlation analysis and Krusskal Wallis test in SPSS 21.0 package program.
The fear score average of the children in the lighted toy group was 0.95 ± 0.80, while it was 3.00 ± 0.74 in the control group. The difference between the groups in terms of the fear score average of the children was found statistically significant (p < 0.05). When the difference between groups in terms of pain status of children is examined, the pain level of children in the lighted toy group (2.83 ± 2.82,) was found to be significantly lower than the pain level of the children in the control group (5.86 ± 2.72) (p < 0.05).
As a result of the study, it was found that the lighted toy given to the children during blood collection reduces their fear and pain levels. In the light of these findings, it is recommended to increase the use of lighted toys in blood collection.
Application to practice
The use of lighted toys as a distraction method during blood collection in children is an effective, easy-to-access and low-cost method. This method demonstrates that there is no need for expensive methods of distraction.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Nursing: Nursing Care of Children and Families
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Faces pain rating scale: Development of Wong-baker faces pain rating scale.Elsevier. 2005; (erişim tarihi: 28.01.2020)
- Effects of watching cartoons on pain scores in children undergoing venepuncture.Nursing Children and Young People. 2018; 32
- Çocuk hastaların hastane yatışları sırasında gelişimlerinin desteklenmesi.Çocuk Dergisi. 2011; 11: 1-4
- Comparison of the effectiveness of three different methods in decreasing pain during venipuncture in children: Ball squeezing, balloon inflating and distraction cards.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2016; 25: 2328-2335
- Oyun ve oyuncağın çocuk sağlığına etkisi.İzmir Dr. Behçet Uz Çocuk Hast. Dergisi. 2015; 5: 81-87
- Efficacy of non-pharmacological methods of pain management in children undergoing venipuncture in a pediatric outpatient clinic: A randomized controlled trial of audiovisual distraction and external cold and vibration.Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2018; 42: 66-72
- Comparison of the effectiveness of two different methods of decreasing pain during phlebotomy in children: A randomized controlled trial.Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 2019; 34: 749-756
- Effectiveness of external cold and vibration for procedural pain relief during peripheral ıntravenous in pediatric patients cannulation.Pain Management Nursing. 2015; 16: 33-39
- The effect of distraction cards on reducing pain and anxiety during ıntramuscular ınjection in children.Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing. 2019; 16: 230-235
- Tip 1 diyabetli çocuklarda insülin enjeksiyonu sırasında ağrı azaltmada iki farklı yöntemin etkinliği: buzzy ve shotblocker.Worldviews Evid Based Nur. 2018; 15: 464-470
- Çocuk Sağlığı Hemşireliği.in: Ankara: Sistem Ofset Basımevi, 67–69, Ankara, Türkiye. 2013
- Effects of virtual reality and external cold and vibration on pain in 7- to 12- year-old children during phlebotomy: A randomized controlled trial.Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing. 2018; 33: 981-989
- Kan alma işlemi sırasında uygulanan üç farklı dikkati başka yöne çekme yönteminin çocuklarin ağrı ve anksiyete düzeyine etkisi. [Yayımlanmamış yüksek lisans tezi].Haliç Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü, İstanbul, 2017
- The ımpact of 3 different distraction techniques on the pain and anxiety levels of children during venipuncture: A clinical trial.The Clinical Journal of Pain. 2019; 35: 140-147
- The effect of video game play technique on pain of venipuncture in children.International Journal Of Pediatrics. 2016; 4: 1795-1802
- The effect of distraction on pain level felt by school- age children during venipuncture procedure-randomized controlled trial.Pain Management Nursing. 2016; 17: 47-53
- Distraction-based ınterventions for children undergoing venipuncture procedures: A randomized controlled study.Clinical Nursing Research. 2016; 1-16
- The effectiveness of distraction (cartoon-patterned clothes and bubble-blowing) on pain and anxiety in preschool children during venipunctıre in the emergency department.Compr Child Adolesc Nurs. 2017; 40: 22-28
- Comparison of the effects of play dough and bubble making distraction techniques on venepuncture pain ıntensity in children.Evidence Based Care Journal. 2016; 5: 25-32
- Effectiveness of animated cartoon as a distraction strategy on level of pain among children undergoing venipuncture at selected hospital.International Journal of Health Sciences & Research. 2017; 7: 248-252
- Development and testing of a faces scale for the assessment of anxiety ın critically ill patients.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2003; 41: 73-79
- Children’s fear during procedural pain: Preliminary investigation of the children’s fear scale.Health Psychology. 2011; 30: 780-788
- Çocuklarda invaziv işlemler sırasında dikkati başka yöne çekme tekniklerinin kullanımı.Uluslararası Hakemli Akademik Spor Sağlık ve Tıp Bilimleri Dergisi. 2017; 23: 48-60
- Is kangaroo mother care effective in alleviating vaccination associated pain in early ınfantile period?.Early Human Development. 2018; 127: 69-73
- Efficacy of flippits to reduce pain in children during venipuncture - a randomized controlled trial.Indian Journal of Pediatrics. 2017; 84: 597-600
- The effects of three different distraction methods on pain and anxiety in children.Journal of Child Health Care. 2016; 20: 277-285
- Ortopedi servisinde yatan çocuk hastalarda ameliyat sonrası ağrı yönetiminde müziğin etkisinin incelenmesi.Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Hemşirelik Fakültesi Elektronik Dergisi. 2019; 12: 67-73
- Efficacy of the buzzy system for pain relief during venipuncture in children: A randomized controlled trial.Acta Biomed for Health Professions. 2018; 89: 6-16
- Çocuk Sağlığı Temel Hemşirelik Yaklaşımları.in: Göktuğ Yayıncılık, 1054, Amasya, Türkiye. 2012
- Developing a medical picture book for reducing venipuncture distress in preschool-aged children.International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2017; 23
Published online: March 09, 2023
Accepted: February 21, 2023
Received in revised form: January 5, 2023
Received: December 10, 2022
☆This study was produced from the master thesis of the first author under the supervision of the second author.
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.